cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client read timeout value

Russell_Manaois
Level 4
I was troubleshooting status 41 errors associated with backing up Exchange mailboxes. Veritas support doc 276763 states that these errors can be remedied by increasing this value. However, I cannot find any additional information on what this value is and how it affects backups. What exactly does this value represent? How and when should this value be modified?

Thanks in advance,

--Russell
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
Russell,
The Client Read Timeout is the amount of time that the master/media server will wait to receive the next piece of data from the client.

If the client has a lot of files to look through or process before it starts sending data, you can exceed this time period.

Personally, I like 900-1800 for Client Read Timeout values.

$0.02

DP

grumpyface
Level 4
You will probably need to experiment to see how long your backup process on the client takes before it starts sending data. I should add that this number is in seconds and that you will have to change it both on the master and the media or it will use the smaller value of the two.

The only risk I can think of is that zombie backup jobs will hold on to the drive longer than they otherwise would.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Dave value looks good. I use OS selected. You can change this in the admin console under client then properties.

Russell_Manaois
Level 4
I modified the value to the maximum on the Master server for the Exchange mailbox backups. So far, no status 41 errors.

Thank you all for your input!

--Russell