cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migration Netbackup 6.5 to 7.0 on another server

Xhfz
Level 2

Hi,

we have netbackup 6.5 with a master and meda server working. 2 LTO4 drives are in a robotic and connected to the master server by a SAN switch. All works well.

We are planning to update to Netbackup 7 and have a new hardware for a new master server and media server.

What is the beast plan get netbackup 7 working and get access to the old backups on tapes?

My idea was to do the solaris OS installation on the new hardware.

Stop all policies on netbackup 6.5, shutdown netbackup and copy the netbackup installation to the new master server. Start netbackup 6.5 on the old system again and leave it working during the NB 7.0 instalation and configuration time.

Bring Netbackup 6.5 on the new hardware back working and change the hostname in the configuration files. Disable the "old" media server.

Do the update on the new system to netbackup 7.0

Install the new Media server with netbackup 7.0.

Reconfigure netbackup 7.0 and replace the old media server with the new one.

Change some backup clients and allow the new netbackup server to do backups.

If all works fine, switch the LTO 4 drives on the SAN switch to the new NEtbackup 7 master server.

Check that duplication jobs from disc to tape work.

Reinstall the old netbackup media server with new OS and install netbackup 7 as 2nd media server.

Do Restore tests.

Update the netbackup clients to 7.0

What do you think about this plan - what I forgot? If you have some links, suggestions and other information, please post it.

I found lot of information to do an upgrade or a reinstalltion.

As we want to change the hwardware too, which is old and we need access to the old backuped data, we need to change hardware too and can't do a blank installation.

Is there perhaps another way, we can go, perhaps freshinstallation and import of the databases with the configuration?

Thanks a lot

Xhfz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"else you will face issues at the time of recovering your catalog in new setup."

What am I missing? Why not migrate to new hardware & upgrade that as suggested by the OP?

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Which is the current Master server OS , its solaris?

1. You need to upgrade your current Master server from 6.5 to 7.0 else you will face issues at the time of recovering your catalog in new setup.

2. Once the Current master server upgraded to 7 , test the backup for some time for a week or so .

3. Mean while get the new servers ready with OS installation and other stuffs.

4. Once new server is ready , shutdown the old server and rename the new server with the same name as old server , before shutting down old server take catalog backup .

5. Install Netbackup in the new server

6. Recover the old catalog .

7. test the backups and restores

8. Run the catalog backup

My suggestions are

1.Don't de-commission the old master server untill the new server is completely working .

2. Don't club Master and Media server upgrades on the same time . First upgrade the master server completely and then upgarde your Media server .

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Go to the below link and give you current configuration details . You will get all the requried document and also software download links .

https://sort.symantec.com/checklist/install#report

Xhfz
Level 2

Hi Rajesh_s,

thanks for your feedback.

My idea was to to do the installation and upgrade without touching the working old one.

If something will go wrong, we still have the old one in place and don't risc of loosing backups.

What's in the catalog backup, the information what's on which tape, is there the Netbackup configuration (policies, retention times, ..) included too?

Xhfz

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Yes , all the information will be in catalog .

Your configuration information , Policies , Storage inforamtion , Media details, Backup image info etc. are in catalog

If you don't want to touch your old setup means , if it is a small setup and if you can able to import the tapes and create the policies , stg units everything freshly then ok . Else you need to go with my earlier suggestion.

1. you Need to create all the polcies freshly

2. Need to configure media server

3. Need to import the tapes for to import the image info of the tape to database

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you want to access old backups on the NEW server, you HAVE TO keep the same host name or else get Symantec Consulting to use their 'mergeutil' to transfer EMM database entries from Server1 to Server2.

If you keep the same hostname, you can use catalog backup and restore to migrate 6.5 to new hardware, then upgrade to 7.0. See this TN for details: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"else you will face issues at the time of recovering your catalog in new setup."

What am I missing? Why not migrate to new hardware & upgrade that as suggested by the OP?

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Hi Andy ,

As per my knowledge Netbackup 7 and 6.5 database is different right , we cant not import the 6.5 catalog to 7.

First i tried the same option while i am upgrading my environemnt to 7 but we couldn't do that . Then raised a case with Symantec and has per their suggestion we have upgarde 6.5 to 7 and then migrated to new hardware and imported the catalog.

Regards,

rajesh

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Wouldn't need to - build the new master at 6.5 & import catalog from existing. Get that working & then upgrade to 7 whenever (leaves old master still working & untouched at 6.5).

Xhfz
Level 2

Hi Andy,

thanks a lot for your plan. Think that this is the best ;)

I will setup a new NB 6.5 server with an new name and diffrent ip - does it matter if the name of the new NB server is diffrent to the old one, if I import the catalog?

Xhfz

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

you MUST keep the same hostname in order to be able to import the catalog.

It's also stated in the TechNote that both Marianne & I quoted:

"...The host name and IP address of the old and new hardware must be the same..."

Xhfz
Level 2

Hi Andy,

thanks a lot.

Xhfz

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Import means that you will need to do phase 1 and 2 import of every single tape in your environment (remember that phase 2 takes about the same amount of time as the original backup).

If you are prepared to do that, you can start fresh with a new hostname and IP.

If you meant 'catalog recovery' then it will not work - the EMM database will not restore if the hostname is different.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I think a few have been guilty of using the term "import" a little vaguely (or dare I say incorrectly?) here, where we (me especially!) should've been using "recover" - thanks for clarifying, think I'm still in 'holiday mode'!!

A_P1
Level 2

Hi,

i have little different situation. This is on Windows platform.

We done fresh install of NBU 7. Previous version of NBU 6.5 had hardware problems.

So, we did fresh install of NBU 7 which is running very well.

Now, we need to bring back the catalogs from NBU 6.5.

Please note, hostname and IPA of both 7 and 6.5 are exactly same.

Can some one provide steps or a link to a technote to restore NBU 6.5 information.

Thanks,