cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move a defect tape from one volume pool to another?

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Hi,

I am running Symantec NetBackup version 7.0.1 on my backup servers.

I have a HCART tape that has been frozen several times and now I would like to disable the tape and move it to a Volume Pool called "defect".

My question is now, how do I move the tape from one volume pool to another? so it does never get used anymore in the backup rutines?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Genericus
   VIP   

I have to document all my tapes, so I keep the ones I destroy in a pool named destroyed

I update the description to indicate when and why I destroyed them

If you select the tape in a media view, and right click it, you can "change"

You can update the "media description" field to indicate you want to remove it and why.

Other posters are correct - you cannot change pools of active media. Freeze it until all data expires, or manually expire all images.

At that point you can deassign it and put it where ever you want.

1. expire all images on tape - manually or over time.

2. Use this command to have netbackup scan and note that those images are deleted:

nbdelete -allvolumes -force

3. Use this command to have netbackup scan and deassign the tape back to scratch

bpexpdate -deassignempty -force

4. find the tape in your original or scratch pool and move it to your destroyed tape pool

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is not possible to move Assigned tapes to a different pool.

You will need to expire all images associated with the tape(s),  unfreeze it, then use the GUI (right-click, change) or from cmd with 'vmchange -p <pool_number> -m <media_id>'.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that already precludes it from being used again in NetBackup routines (except restores).

As Marianne has already stated, if it does have valid images you cannot move it to another pool. Either force the expiration of the images on that media or you could let them expire "naturally".

Once the media is unassigned you can move it as suggested or just delete it from NetBackup altogether & securely dispose of it physically. If possible you could transfer the existing barcode label (presuming it has one) to a new cartridge so your tape numbering sequence is "complete".......

Will_Restore
Level 6

You can move it to a Volume Group called 'defect' at any time, even assigned media with valid images. 

(Then eject it from the library or the Volume Group will revert next time you do Inventory Robot.)

Genericus
   VIP   

I have to document all my tapes, so I keep the ones I destroy in a pool named destroyed

I update the description to indicate when and why I destroyed them

If you select the tape in a media view, and right click it, you can "change"

You can update the "media description" field to indicate you want to remove it and why.

Other posters are correct - you cannot change pools of active media. Freeze it until all data expires, or manually expire all images.

At that point you can deassign it and put it where ever you want.

1. expire all images on tape - manually or over time.

2. Use this command to have netbackup scan and note that those images are deleted:

nbdelete -allvolumes -force

3. Use this command to have netbackup scan and deassign the tape back to scratch

bpexpdate -deassignempty -force

4. find the tape in your original or scratch pool and move it to your destroyed tape pool

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Hi,

Thank you all very much for your answers! laugh

The combination of your answers gave the solution that I will use. In addition, thank you Genericus for your procedure description; it sounds to me as a very reasonable way to do it!

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please give credit where its due and mark that post as Solution?

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Done smiley

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius