cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the user for The Netbackup 7 Deduplication Engine

daza
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have problems with creating a storage server with Media Server Deduplication Pool _ Error creating Storage server - cannot connect on socket (25), using Winows 2003 64-bit server. I have returned to this problem today, but forgot the user name or password for the Netbackup deduplication Engine. Does anybody know how to remove this user to start a clean installation again of the Storage server? And, does anybody else got into this problem with Deduplication on the Media Server running on W2K3  64-bit servers?

9 REPLIES 9

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
from the Deduplication Admin Guide: Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 Deduplication Guide

"...
Record and save the credentials in case you need them in the future.

Caution: You cannot change the NetBackup Deduplication Engine credentials after
you enter them. Therefore, carefully choose and enter your credentials. If you
must change the credentials, contact your Symantec support representative.
..."

***EDIT***
There is also a little on troubleshooting, but not sure how relevant this is to your issue:

"...
Cannot configure deduplication storage server
If you cannot configure a deduplication storage server or load balancing servers,
your network environment may not be configured for DNS reverse name lookup.
etc etc etc
..."

SteveYu
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
1. Did you already do backups to the dedupe storage target? before forgetting your user/pass
2. Would be ok with starting over? ie destorying the dedupe disk pool and user/pass so you can start over?

-Sy

daza
Level 4
Partner Accredited
1.No, we were not able to complete the wizard to create the storage, but the authentication has passed ok, then at the end it has failed with Cannot conect on the socket. This is only an issue on Windows 2003 64-bit servers. we were able to create Media server dedupe pools on Sparc Solaris 10.

2. Yes, the pool is not created, but it remembers the user name and password for the Dedupe Engine, so now if you start over the Authentication will fail. At one time I know the Symantec Tech (level 2 ) did remove it from the database, but did not pass to us how.

SteveYu
Level 4
Hmmm I am curious about the root problem. Even if I provide the solution on how to completely remote the dedupe engine (storage + credentials) I wonder if you will able to make a new dedupe engine. Is this a production media server or a test one? PM me your info and I will reply with mine. Perhaps we can look at this together via phone/webex

-Sy

daza
Level 4
Partner Accredited
the media server is in a test environment, and we have tried another box with fresh installed 2003 64-bit, same issue - not able to complete the Storage server wizard with Media Server Deduplication Pool. I don't wont to uninstall the Media server everytime trying to setup Media Server dedupe pool - this why I would like to know how to remove the credentials for a failed installation.

Sy, you can reach me at daza3033@gmail.com

sbarto01
Not applicable
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I tried installing dedupe engine for NB7 today and I could not get it to install successfully on win2k3 x64. Now, when I try to create a pool it cannot validate to the database. Any suggestions?

Thanks

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

sbarti01

look at this article
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346814.htm

SteveYu
Level 4
That is the answer I wrote back sbarto01 in private. The reason why I did not publicly post the answer is because you need to be 100% sure you know what you are doing or you WILL lose data. One additional mention to the note from my experience is that you need you ensure that the puredisk processes are stopped for the unix os's

-Sy

Filip_Hasa
Level 4
Partner
Here is step how to remove deduplicatin engine

User is OS user.