cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Exchange user mailbox using net backup

Peterpan
Level 4

Good Day,

I would like to ask some query in restoring our User mailbox may i ask on how to restore it using net backup.

Regards,

14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to back it up in the correct way in order to restore mailbox items.

You did not mention your NBU or Exchange version?

See NBU for Exchange Admin Guide for details as well as these HOWTO videos: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41825

Peterpan
Level 4

Sorry we are using NBU 7.0.4 and Exchange 2010 we tried to delete specific user mailbox on our exchange server but unfortunately when are about to restore it we cannot successfully restore the mailbox.

any procedure you may advice.

profile also deleted on the Active Directory after removing on the exchange server.

Peterpan
Level 4

@Marriane,

we are testing this scenario on our UAT server.

Marianne
Level 6

How did you back up Exchange?

Exch 2010 needs to be backed up to disk using GRT in order to restore mailbox or mailbox items.

Please see manual and videos that I have mentioned above.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Peterpan

Hope below silent video helps you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/exchange-2010-sp2-grt-netbackup-75

it also has transcript which lists all the pre-reqs required for GRT enabled backup and restore.

Let us know if you face any challenges after going through above

Peterpan
Level 4

Will check the link video. thanks

Peterpan
Level 4

Hi as per checking on the video its done from 7.5 is it applicable also from 7.0.4?

video show the restoration of the Inbox mail level i would like to know if ever I accdentally delete the mailbox of the specific user then how can i restore it from backup?

Marianne
Level 6

Exch2010 GRT is supported as from 7.0.

How did you perform backup? With or without GRT?

If entire mailbox was deleted, you first need to recreate the mailbox in Exchange in order to restore from .

This requirement is documented in the 7.1 manual that I have posted above as well as in 7.0 manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127056  (You can find manuals for all recent NBU versions in 'Handy NBU links' in my signature.)

See this extract from the manual:

Prerequisites and operational notes for restoring Exchange individual
mailboxes, mailbox folders, public folders, or messages

Review the following prerequisites before you restore individual mailboxes,
mailbox folders, public folders, or messages:

■ The destination mailbox must exist to successfully restore a mailbox.
■  .....

Peterpan
Level 4

I backup it with GRT i can successfully restore the specific email. my problem is restoring user mailbox.

Peterpan
Level 4

thanks you for the infrmation so I need to create the container before i can successfully restore the Mailbox.

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you need force restore on maillbox, go to your mailbox and right click under maintinance you will find force to restore.

that's will help you as me.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Method applies to 7.1.0.4 as well. Simply follow the process outlined in Video and pre-reqs required mentioned in transcript document.

If any issue arises post it here.

Hope it helps

Marianne
Level 6
Just for the record - there has never been a version 7.0.4. The last 7.0 version was 7.0.1. Maybe 7.1.0.4? Videos in my post as well as 7.5 video is relevant for all 7.x versions. Destination mailbox must exist in order to restore. Please read through the section in the manual.

Peterpan
Level 4

@ Marianne

Thanks you for the idea...i will read the manual that you provided.