Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limid bandwith on opimized duplication

Olssa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi!

I'm duplicating from one msdp pool to another over WAN(I guess its called Optimized duplication).

On the first run there is quite a bit of data to be transfered and it is taking all my bandwith between the sites. Is there someway to limit it? because its going to take a few days and nowone can use the link meanwhile.

the link is around 20mbit today, if i can can tweak it to just use around 10mbit it would be great.

using to mediaservers with 7.5.0.3

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Two options for bandwidth throttling - the first which overrides any setting in the second option and is global across the pool is:

Bandwidthlimit Path - edit the line "bandwidthlimit =" in:-

Unix:/Storage/etc/puredisk/agent.cfg

Windows: Storage\etc\puredisk\agent.cfg

Second is the OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH setting found at:

OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH Path :-

Unix: /usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/pd.conf

Windows: install_path\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\ost-plugins

If you just have a single server / appliance in each pool then you can just use the pd.conf and add the OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH = line with a suitable value .. this is in KB/s .. but this does work at stream level - if you user the agent.cfg it controls the whole thing as a total but again  vlaues and formulas are odd - I would guestimate that it would need a value of 20000 to give 20mb/s

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, you can limit bandwidth usage see this technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70618

It's per-stream setting so be careful

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Two options for bandwidth throttling - the first which overrides any setting in the second option and is global across the pool is:

Bandwidthlimit Path - edit the line "bandwidthlimit =" in:-

Unix:/Storage/etc/puredisk/agent.cfg

Windows: Storage\etc\puredisk\agent.cfg

Second is the OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH setting found at:

OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH Path :-

Unix: /usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/pd.conf

Windows: install_path\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\ost-plugins

If you just have a single server / appliance in each pool then you can just use the pd.conf and add the OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH = line with a suitable value .. this is in KB/s .. but this does work at stream level - if you user the agent.cfg it controls the whole thing as a total but again  vlaues and formulas are odd - I would guestimate that it would need a value of 20000 to give 20mb/s

Hope this helps