cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop NetBackup automatically assigning new tapes to a specific pool ...

dami
Level 5
I have been put an interesting question from a fellow NetBackup colleague which I think cannot be solved. Basically, in a NetBackup environment where a scratch pool is in use, is there any way that we can prevent NetBackup automatically assigning new media to a particular pool only, forcing jobs using it to fail with status 96. He wants a particular set of jobs to use only a fixed number of pre-defined media which are all in this pool.
Message Edited by dami on 02-25-2009 03:30 AM
4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Short Answer:

Don't use scratch pool

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Nathan Kippen wrote:

Short Answer:

Don't use scratch pool

Smiley Wink

Or, may be possible if you can dedicate a tape drive solely to this particular policy.

e.g. library with 4 LTO3 tape drives configured as HCART3 & corresponding Storage Unit(s): reconfigure one tape drive as HCART; create new Storage Unit for HCART media; add 'new' LTO3 media as HCART (barcode rules); amend policy to use new Storage Unit; ensure all SCRATCH are configured as HCART3.

Messy & wasteful but it may achieve the desired results?

dami
Level 5

The idea of dedicating a drive (using a unique density for it) is interesting but does add complications if restores are required from any existing tapes and with general library maintenance. We may try that one but are also looking at a simple bpstart_notify script for this policy which only allows the backup to proceed if there are already the required number of expired (time assigned = blank) in the appropriate pool.

Stumpr2
Level 6

@dami wrote:
I have been put an interesting question from a fellow NetBackup colleague which I think cannot be solved. Basically, in a NetBackup environment where a scratch pool is in use, is there any way that we can prevent NetBackup automatically assigning new media to a particular pool only, forcing jobs using it to fail with status 96. He wants a particular set of jobs to use only a fixed number of pre-defined media which are all in this pool.
Message Edited by dami on 02-25-2009 03:30 AM

no