cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view the content of OST diskpool

cbsi_nbu_team
Level 3

I just configured Quantum DXi with OST,  previously it was used as Basic Disk via NFS share.

I noticed significant a performance improvement in the backup speed/throughput, anywhere from 1.8 to  4.5 times faster than using NFS.

However, I have not been able to figure out how to look at the content of the OST diskpool, while w/ NFS it is kinda reassuring to be able to list the content of the share to see those backup images

Is there a way to check the content of OST pool aside from just doing "bpimmedia", which show mediaid something like @aaxxx? Can I do a listing of this media id within OST?

Also bpstsinfo -ii doesn't seem to list this backup to the OST disk pool? Is that normal?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The backup images are obfuscated by OST, behind a proprietary quasi file system of sorts.

The best way to re-assure yourself is to perform some restores.

Or, you could pick random image IDs from a bpimmedia (by pool ID) list and execute some bpverify commands, which will walk the image header - but I believe that bpverify does not walk the image fragments, I'm not 100% sure on that though - it might do.

One way to definitely walk the image fragments and the entire image content... might be to randomly pick images and script up a bpduplicate to basic disk, and then a bpexpdate (but be very careful of copy numbers here) of the copy on the Basic Disk STU, as this will definitely re-hydrate the backup and read back all de-duped fragments.  i.e. an actual test of re-constituting the backup image, just a like an actual restore does.

In fact... this is such a good idea that I'm going to implement it.     Automated backup readability testing of backups stored in de-dupe/OST.    Like it.     :)    Cheers for the question!

cbsi_nbu_team
Level 3

Thanks for confirming. I asked uncle google, and he culdn't tell me much either.

So far the closest I get is to use nbdevquery -listmediaid, which is kinda verifying that the mediaid in question is inside the diskpool of the LSU in the OST.

# bpimmedia -policy mypolicy -U |grep -i mediaid|head -1
  MediaID:            @aaaal

# nbdevquery -listmediaid @aaaal -l
V_5_ QuantumDXi-OST Quantum _PhysicalLSU @aaaal 10809.49 8150.51 24 1 0 1 0 0 14 0

Thanks!