cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Tapes from Different Master Server/Backup Domain

Liew_WK
Level 4
Hi,
I am planning to do huge numbers of tapes importing from one Master (ServerA) to another Master (ServerB). Which part of my consolidation plan then follow by upgrade.

Any good suggestion for faster way to import tape and whether import tape from one master to another is possible or not....

- NBU5.1 & NBU4.5 for both different master server.
- will import tapes from master 4.5 to master 5.1
- upgrade from master 5.1 to 6.0

liewwk
5 REPLIES 5

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
you can always just import the entire catalog.

Liew_WK
Level 4
Hi Dennis,
Do you mean, I can upgrade my Master server 5.1 to 6.0. Then follow by import tapes from Master server4.5 directly ?
But both 4.5/5.x and 6.0 having different catalog structure , and this is worry me for the tape import.

Thanks.

Liewwk

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I was thinking import the catalog from your primary to the DR server. Start the DR server with a clean install. If you want to upgrade you primary just go to 5.1. If this is for DR keep both the primary and the DR server the same rev. If it is unix and the same os mount the /opt/openv directory of the DR server and use rsync to copy the entire /opt/openv directory. You will have to have them on seperate lan/wan since if they have the same name and IP and can talk to each other you will have problems.

Liew_WK
Level 4
Hi Dennis,
As we do have multiple master server and trying to consolodation in new project so import of tape from other master is the only option for me. And you may have any good option :D

Jordi_Prats
Level 3
I did this just 3 months ago:

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Server/264250.pdf

- I changed the old server to a media server
- On the new server I imported all the tapes I needed to import (page 247)
- Then, I did a copy of all the images on the imported tapes (page 239)
- And finally, I expired the old images, so the new images becomes the primary copy. (page 246)

Jordi