cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported Images Not Showing Up

Rick_Norris
Level 3

I have imported some images from some old backups using the two phase import.  They are under the C;\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\images folder, but do not appear when I open the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI.  I have looked at the DIRStruct file and it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any ideas?

Using NB 4.5 on Windows.

8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6

Do you have the client defined in one of your backup policies?

Make sure you are using the exact name. Check client properties to make sure.

Rick_Norris
Level 3
I think so.  Under policies, I see the machine listed in the client section.  It is the master server as well.

Rick_Norris
Level 3

I get the following message:

Warning:  server (servername) does not contain and backups for client (same_servername) using the specified policy type (MS-Windows-NT) as request by client (same_servername)

I have never done a backup on this machine, all I have done is imported the 3 tapes I would like to restore from.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Just to make sure I understand

1. you have tapes that contain images of your master server

2. you completed phase I and II of importing for the images

3. you are the administrator for your master server

4. you bring up the BAR on the master server as the administrator

5. you select source and destination to be the master server

6. you select MS-Windows-NT as the type

7. you set the calendar date range from 1990 to 2009?

Rick_Norris
Level 3

1. The images are from a 3 tape backup that was created in 97.  The old backup server is long gone and I don't even know the name of that server.  I have the three tapes, and did the 2 phase import.  When I do a search under catalog I can see the images on the three tapes.  From there I right clicked and did an import which took a long time and placed the image files in the folder I referenced earlier.

2-5 - Yes.

6.  When I click on select restore type - all I see is (Normal, Archive, Raw, True Image, Backup Exec and Normal and Backup Exec).  I do not see MS-Windows-NT as a type.

7. How do I set the calendar date range?

F_J
Level 4

1. You need to find a client name that the backups were taken from. When you did the Phase 2 import or now if you search the images in the Catalog, you will see images in a format hostname_1234567890. The hostname part is the client name.

2. This client name needs to be entered as a source client name in Backup, Archive and Restore GUI.

3. If you are still not seeing a backup image then it may not be a MS-Windows-NT backup. Try selecting Standard as a policy type. If you can see it after selecting a Standard policy, then it's a Unix client backup and you will need a Unix machine to resore it to.

Rick_Norris
Level 3

Where in BAR do I tell it the source client name.  I can't find that anywhere.

Also, yes this is a Unix backup.  We do not have Unix in our environment anymore but I would like to at least see the files on the tapes due to us missing an old project file (thjat can be stored on a Win or Unix server)

Am I out of luck if we do not have a Unix machine here?

F_J
Level 4

In the Backup, Archive and Restore, click File -> Specify NetBackup machines and policy type, edit the client list to add the client name and select it, then select Standard as the policy type.

You cannot restore files from a Standard backup to a Windows box, but you could set up a virtual Unix machine, install a Unix NetBackup client into it and then restore files to it (using the new machine name as a destination client).