cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install 2nd NetBackup Server at DR site

DCraige
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

We are running NetBackup 7.1 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  We have only 1 NetBackup server at our main site and is is both the master server and the media server.  We purchased similar server hardware to have at our disaster recovery (DR) site.  We are going to install NetBackup 7.1 on this server also and have it ready in the event of a DR situation and our main site is unavailable.

I would like to know what the best way to install NetBackup 7.1 on this 2nd server at our DR site.  I would like to be able to perform some test restores while the current master server is running to prove things will be recovered properly in the event of a DR situation.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hey Mate,

You have a few options:

1. Configure Media Server in the DR with MSDP on both sides. Backup the Catalog to the MSDP in the Primary and duplicate it (optimised duplication) to the DR MSDP. Back up all data to MSDP and replicate them to the MSDP in the DR or backup all data with Lifecycle policy to the MSDP and duplicate to the tape. If you loose the Master Server in Production - convert the Media Server to Master and recover the Catalog from the copy on the MSDP (or tape)

2. Build a Master/Media Server in the DR, use AIR to replicate everything to the MSDP in the DR.

Hope it helps

DCraige
Level 3

It looks like MSDP requires a license key which we don't have.  Is there any other way of keeping a copy of the catalog on our DR media server?

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Create a diskstorageunit on your mediaserver in the DR site, write the catalog to it and write your DR-File to a folder on same...

Keep documentation and copy of current software in the mediaserver, and you'll have everything you need for rebuilding a DR-master using same hostname in one place.

You can now rebuild a master, but don't forget where your backupimages are kept.