cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install a linux client - step by step

MariusD
Level 6
I need help to install a linux client. I am not familiar with Unix/Linux "Language". Can anybody help me with a step by step guide?

The Master NBU is a Windows 2003 and I have 3 Linux (suse 32/64bit)) clients and I must to install the NBU client.

Usually this installation makes the linux administrator, but  now is in vacation.

We have a network path where the setup kit's are "\\servername.shared.com\setup" and I can on the client logging. What must i do next. ...?

Thanks for your help"

Regards
Marius Demeter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
  a. Log on to the UNIX system as root.
b. Mount CD and navigate to Mount point.
c. Type ./install to run installation script.
d. Type y to continue.
e. Type y to confirm the client software installation.
f. Type the hostname of Master Server - nbumaster
g. Type y to confirm the name of Netbackup Client
h. Navigate to /usr/openv/netbackup
i. Type vi bp.conf to edit file
j. Add the media server to bp.conf file as follows:
- SERVER = Master_Server_Name
- SERVER = Media Server_Name
- CLIENT_NAME = Client_name
k. Save and close file.
l. Reboot Master, Media and Cleint.
m. After the installation is complete, unmount the cd.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Where are the UNIX guru(s) to assist....?.....

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 You need the clients2 cd to install clients for suse linux. ftp the software to the client, and extract it. Then run the install script from the folder created by extraction.

-Rajeev

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
either on CD/DVD or over your network, then installation should be as simple as cd'ing into that location & running the install script.

From the NetBackup Installation Guide UNIX & Linux Release 6.5 (page 89) :
"...
Installing UNIX clients locally
The following procedure installs the NetBackup client software on a local machine.
To install client software locally on a UNIX client

1 Insert the NetBackup client CD into the drive on the client computer and mount it. For instructions on how to mount the CD on your operating system, refer to the appropriate section of “Mounting the software media” on page 21. For information on CD contents and exact names, refer to “Contents of the NetBackup media kit” on page 10.

2 Change your working directory to the CD directory if you have a CD, or to the directory that contains the downloaded files:
cd /cd_mount_point
The cd_mount_point is the path to the directory where you can access the CD.
For Macintosh OS X 10.3.x systems only: You can access the CD from the following location:
cd /volumes/cd name

3 Enter the following command to execute the installation script:
./install
The client binaries represent the operating system versions where the binaries were compiled. Often, the binaries function perfectly on later versions of the operating system. For example, Solaris 9 binaries also are used on the Solaris 10 level of the operating system. The installation procedure attempts to load the appropriate binaries for your system. If the script does not recognize the local operating system, it presents choices.

4 Follow the prompts to complete the installation.

5 After the installation is complete, unmount the client CD.
..."

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hello
Please use this docs:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290199.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284276.htm
If You will encounter any problems let us know!!
Here is the list for all NBU related docs: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

I am hoping You do have the CDs/DVDs for this OS!!

MariusD
Level 6
but where are the steps for a Linux client installation??
I have all Netbackup documents but don't help me now. I don's have time to read hundreds of pages.

So I understand a step by step support for a intallation:

1 Log on to the system where you want to install NetBackup Client. Be sure to log on with administrator privileges.

2 Start Launch.exe in the source “Setup files” directory.

3 On the initial browser screen
Click > NetBackup Installation, and on the following screen, select Install Client Software.

4 On the Welcome screen:
click >Next.

5 On the License Agreement screen, accept the license agreement:
click >Next.

6 On the Select where you want to install Veritas NetBackup screen, select Install to this computer only, perform Typical installation
click >Next

7 On the NetBackup System Names screen, to the Master Server Name enter “myserver.net” ,
Uncheck Install LiveUpdate Server
click >Next

8 On the Ready to Install the Program screen,
click >Install

9 After you click Install, the installation process begins and a screen appears that shows you the progress of the installation. This process may take several minutes.

10 click >Finish

and something like this I need, but for Unix client. What I must write?

I don't have CD\DVD with setup, just a Network path where are the setup files.
Pls help me.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
follow steps 2 to 4

MariusD
Level 6
Can you more explicitly to be, Andy? pls.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
but more explicitly, run as follows.

(insert CD)
# mkdir /cdrom
# mount -o ro /dev/cdrom /cdrom
# /cdrom/install
(Enter Master Server Name)
(Enter This Client Name)
(Installation Completed)
# umount /cdrom
# rmdir /cdrom

MariusD
Level 6
and when I don't have a CD/DVD ??? I have just a network path where are the kit's/setup files.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"...
2 Change your working directory to the CD directory if you have a CD, or to the directory that contains the downloaded files:
..."

The relevant part here is "to the directory that contains the downloaded files" i.e. your network path where you have the install files which you can mount on your linux client?

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified
i agree with what Yasuhisa Itoh wrote. it worked for me.

MariusD
Level 6
ok, thanks all but:

i need to take the setup file from network. How can I do this?
Don't work with (
"
Insert CD)
# mkdir /cdrom
# mount -o ro /dev/cdrom /cdrom
# /cdrom/install
"

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I would share this cd2 contents on You windows box - lets call it windows_srv, and the share name as cd2.
Than from linux try to mount this share:
login into linux box,
create a directory called remote_share in root: mkdir /remote_share
mount it: mount -t smbfs \\windows_srv\cd2_share /remote_share

Probably You would need to pass USER ID and its password to access this share.

Of course this is high level procedure - if I were You I would just burn this CD2 contnets onto cd and follow the procedure which was presented here a few post ago ;D.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... if you need to mount a windows share on a linux box you're better off googling for 'mount share +linux' - there are a LOT of forums & blogs out there devoted to Linux specifically. [Just confirmed that myself & found enough to help you if this is the direction you need to go].

Once mounted you should be able to cd into that share on the linux client & run the install script as directed above.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
  a. Log on to the UNIX system as root.
b. Mount CD and navigate to Mount point.
c. Type ./install to run installation script.
d. Type y to continue.
e. Type y to confirm the client software installation.
f. Type the hostname of Master Server - nbumaster
g. Type y to confirm the name of Netbackup Client
h. Navigate to /usr/openv/netbackup
i. Type vi bp.conf to edit file
j. Add the media server to bp.conf file as follows:
- SERVER = Master_Server_Name
- SERVER = Media Server_Name
- CLIENT_NAME = Client_name
k. Save and close file.
l. Reboot Master, Media and Cleint.
m. After the installation is complete, unmount the cd.

Stumpr2
Level 6
STATUS CODE: 58, 25 connection errors occur when trying to backup a Linux client or view the client properties
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287346.htm

Overview:
The NetBackup services are registered with xinetd on Linux clients. If the xinetd option only_from = <host_name> is set, it will prevent the system from accepting connections from any system but the host name listed.

This will cause NetBackup to fail with a Status 58 (can't connect to client) when a backup of the system is performed. This can also cause a Status 25 (cannot connect on socket) to appear when trying to configure the host properties for the system.

Troubleshooting:
On the Linux machine causing the error, check the xinetd.conf file to see what options are used for all registered xinetd services. The following example shows that the client will only accept connections from localhost.
# cat /etc/xinetd.conf
#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/
defaults
{
only_from = localhost
instances = 60
log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
log_on_success = HOST PID
log_on_failure = HOST
cps = 25 30
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Log Files: N/A

Resolution:
It will be necessary to remove any only_from = <host_name> entries from the xinetd.conf file. The NetBackup daemons may need to receive connections from multiple systems during normal operations. This option will prevent connections from other systems and does not exist by default in the xinetd.conf file.

1. Edit the /etc/xinetd.conf file and comment out or remove the only_from = <host_name> line(s). Save changes.
2. Then, restart the xinetd daemon for the changes to take effect.
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
3. Retry the connection to the Linux client.

thank you !!