cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Netbackup client

Les_F
Level 4
Hi

We are running Netbackup Server 6.0 MP4 as our backup server. I'd like to install a Netbackup client on a Windows 2003 64 bit server.

I understand that Netbackup 6.0 MP2 was the first release for the 64 bit server/ client, and therefore contains the full release *and* the subsquent maintenance pack.

My question is, do I need to install 6.0 MP2, then MP3, and then MP4, or can I just install MP2 and then MP4 (I take it MP4 doesn't contain the full release only the maintenance pack unlike MP2).

Cheers....
6 REPLIES 6

henri_keli
Level 3
Certified
MP4 is a cumulative patch (ie it contains all the previous fixes mp1/2/3)

Les_F
Level 4
Thanks, but if I am installing a new client, can I just install MP4 as it contains the base client *and* the additional maintenance packs, or does it contain only the maintenance pack?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi Dilan,

You have to install the base package, otherwaise known as the "GA" release (i.e. general availability.

After this you can install whatever is the highest maintenance pack, but you should not (reda as "must not") install aa maintenance pack on your client that is higher than the media server that will service the backups.

Regards,
Dave.

Les_F
Level 4
Thanks guys.

An interesting problem - the server I am trying to install the client on is a DL580 G5 that is running Windows 2003 Standard 64 bit edition.

However, when I try and install the 64 bit Netbackup software, I receive a message stating that this application cannot run using the processor type of the machine.

Conversely, when I try and install the the 32 bit client, it seems to start ok.

Can anyone see any reason for this? From what I can see from the Hp site, this particular model of hardware has 64 bit processors, so I would have thought that the 64 bit client should have installed.

Thanks

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you have all the clients installed on the master server you may want to try running the below script from your master server.
install_client_files ftp clientname username
the install script should select the client that is needed. After this you will have to do an install as root from the client and the previous command will tell you what to run.Message was edited by:
Dennis Strom

Les_F
Level 4
Apologies, the server was actually running a 32 bit machine running 32 bit Windows - the documentation was wrong.

Many thanks for the help.