cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a 2nd NetBackup Master Server

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Good Day,

I need a bit of guidance on how to install a 2nd NetBackup Master server.

We currently have 1 Master Server and 7 Media Servers. I need to install a 2nd Master Server to be used for disaster recovery purposes. Thus this server will be based at another location ONLY to be utilized when we have to recover / restore data.

This Server need to have the current catalog or else I need to be able to import / restore this catalog from backup.

OS = Windows 2003 X86, NetBackup 7.0.1.

Please provide me with a step by step guide if possible.

Would I need to have Media Server available to assist with Restore when I need to do Disaster recovery or would a Master Server be fine?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi, you can restore using the Master server so that is not an issue.

As long as the Master server has the same hostname, OS version and NetBackup version (including patches. then just do a basic install and recover the catalog when necessary).

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Hi Revaroo,

My current Master server is running Windows 2003 R2 with NB 7.0.1

Would it cause a lot of hassles if I install Server 2008R2 for my DR Master server?

Thus would I be able to import my catalog and do restores from there if needed?

Regards

Paul

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Catalog recovery to new hardware and W2008 is perfectly supported.

See this TN for detailed steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

A DR TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58358

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

To be a TRUE DR Master server, everything should be as close as possible, including OS versions.

I would keep them the same personally. What reason is there for you to install 2008 rather than 2003?

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

2008 is better supported by my DR server's hardware. :)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There shouldn't be a problem with it being 2008.

You need to have your catalog tape and Catalog DR file available.

If you want it very quick to set up then you can do the following (for DR purposes only and assuming that they are on the same network - if not on then you can skip steps 2 and 5):

1. Make sure the DR Server has the same drive letters available as you need to install NBU to the same drive as the original.

2. On the DR Master add a hosts file entry for the name of the live master against the IP address of the DR Master - this makes it resolve the live master host name to the IP address of the DR master.

3. Install NBU of the same version and patch level, to the same location as the original master and using the name of the NetBackup Master / EMM name to be that of the live Master Server (needs changing if your DR server has a different name)

4. Configure the DR tape library using barcode and mediaID rules as per the live Master.

The system is now ready for a DR.

When you need it to become live (DR scenario) then:

5. Remove the hosts file entry, rename the server to that o fthe original and reboot it.

6. Inventory the library so that the Catalog Tape is seen

7. Run the Catalog recovery wizard

You are pretty much ready to start restoring now (after service re-start etc - see Disaster Recovery section of the Troubleshooting manual for full details)

Hope this helps