cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpreting the Symantec (NBDEPLOYTOOL) Report

S1977
Level 2

All

I have extracted a NetBackup report and am attempting to assess our production estate wr.t. licenses. However I am missing a 'guide' document that can help me map the number of clients/servers/media servers/etc installed with licenses required. Is there some reference that I can use as a statring point for my assessment?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have 'per server' licensing, there is no method to check licensed quantities from NBU side.

It is a manual process where you have to compare NBU config with license key certificates.

You can list amount of clients in NBU host properties, but that is not the final number used. You need to have a good knowledge of your environment. For example:
Client names may include clusters where local nodenames as well as virtual name(s) are backed up.
You need to know not to count the virtual name(s) as only 1 license per node is needed.
Similarly when Master and media servers are backed up - they will be listed as Clients, but the Server licenses include Client backups.

Best to work with your reseller for guidance.
Your reseller will be able to share 'NetBackup 7.5 External Pricing and Licensing Guide.pdf' that is unfortunately not available for public download.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Frequently asked questions about NetBackup licensing and NetBackup license keys

Article:HOWTO74614  |  Created: 2012-03-16  |  Updated: 2013-10-24  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74614

S1977
Level 2

inn_kam

Firstly thanks for the above link. While it does help me with licenses and keys, I am looking for a guide that helps map the report numbers to licenses. I read previously about getting a licensing guide from parternet but I am unable to access it. Is there any such information that is freely available and can be referred to?

Regards

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have 'per server' licensing, there is no method to check licensed quantities from NBU side.

It is a manual process where you have to compare NBU config with license key certificates.

You can list amount of clients in NBU host properties, but that is not the final number used. You need to have a good knowledge of your environment. For example:
Client names may include clusters where local nodenames as well as virtual name(s) are backed up.
You need to know not to count the virtual name(s) as only 1 license per node is needed.
Similarly when Master and media servers are backed up - they will be listed as Clients, but the Server licenses include Client backups.

Best to work with your reseller for guidance.
Your reseller will be able to share 'NetBackup 7.5 External Pricing and Licensing Guide.pdf' that is unfortunately not available for public download.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Info on License TIER

UNIX:

Based on  populated processor sockets

Linux / Windows / Solaris x64:

Based on  populated processor sockets

Tier 1

1 to 2 processor sockets

Tier 1

1 processor socket

Tier 2

3 to 4 processor sockets

Tier 2

2 to 3 processor socket

Tier 3

5 to 12 processor sockets

Tier 3

4 to 7 processor socket

Tier 4

13 or more processor sockets

Tier 4

8 or more processor socket

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Symantec NetBackup Traditional and Capacity License Deployment Utility (nbdeployutil)

Article:TECH148678  |  Created: 2011-01-20  |  Updated: 2013-05-28  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148678

S1977
Level 2

Thanks inn_kam and Marianne van den Berg. I will get in touch with our reseller to ask for that guide. I already have the nbdelployutil reports so need to relate them to licenses.

Thanks again!

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

well 

mark as solution which is help ful

also you can mark split solution

Thanks again