cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do restore over SAN if backup is done over LAN?

xxyy
Level 3

Hi,

I am using NetBackup 7.7.1. VMware version is 6.0. I am taking VM backups over LAN. If i want to restore my backups over SAN in DR, is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes it is possible. You need to fulfill all the pre-requisites to all SAN based backups and select the transport mode as SAN. A backup taken over LAN can be restored over SAN.

But I feel you need to give more details about your source and destination VMware environment.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If source and destination VMware will be identical in terms of version and hardware setup, why would you be doing bakups via LAN?

If you read through transport methods section in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide you will see that it actually better under certain circumstances to restore via LAN, even when backups were taken via SAN. 

See 'Restore notes and restrictions' in chapter 10.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes it is possible. You need to fulfill all the pre-requisites to all SAN based backups and select the transport mode as SAN. A backup taken over LAN can be restored over SAN.

But I feel you need to give more details about your source and destination VMware environment.

xxyy
Level 3

Hi. Thank you for your comment.

The source and destination VMware will be identical in terms of version and hardware setup.

What other information regarding the VM setup would you like to know?

Marianne
Level 6

If source and destination VMware will be identical in terms of version and hardware setup, why would you be doing bakups via LAN?

If you read through transport methods section in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide you will see that it actually better under certain circumstances to restore via LAN, even when backups were taken via SAN. 

See 'Restore notes and restrictions' in chapter 10.

xxyy
Level 3

Thanks everyone for your answers :)  

Marianne
Level 6
Curious to know why you are marking Solutions and then clearing them again? If you want to mark more than one, then use the 'request split solution ' link.

xxyy
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Sorry about that. You got it right I was trying to mark two threads as solution. As i am new to this community didnt know how to do it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers