cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to take SAP backup with DB2 and MSSQL DB's

sumitgree
Level 4

Hello,

As per SCL SAP agent only supports Oracle and MaxDb databases.

But As per DB2 and MSSQL admin Guide We can also configured SAP backup with Db2 and MSSQL agents.

Does configuring SAP backup with database agents instead of SAP agent will make any difference in way of backup.As SAP agent does not support Db2 and Mssql?

Is there any difference between configure backup through database agent and SAP agent?

If we can take backup of SAP through database agents then Why we required SAP agent apart from licensing difference

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vjuhola
Level 4
Partner

"Does configuring SAP backup with database agents instead of SAP agent will make any difference in way of backup.As SAP agent does not support Db2 and Mssql?"

No. The underlying database, Oracle DB2 or MSSQL, contains the information and SAP is just an application passing the information to the database and reading it also.

"Is there any difference between configure backup through database agent and SAP agent?"

Yes of course. SAP is an extra layer that has backup tools and they are the same with every OS. Each database have their own tools and therefore have different backup configuration methods.

I have always done backups using the database agent even though SAP is installed. I find it easier.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vjuhola
Level 4
Partner

"Does configuring SAP backup with database agents instead of SAP agent will make any difference in way of backup.As SAP agent does not support Db2 and Mssql?"

No. The underlying database, Oracle DB2 or MSSQL, contains the information and SAP is just an application passing the information to the database and reading it also.

"Is there any difference between configure backup through database agent and SAP agent?"

Yes of course. SAP is an extra layer that has backup tools and they are the same with every OS. Each database have their own tools and therefore have different backup configuration methods.

I have always done backups using the database agent even though SAP is installed. I find it easier.

sumitgree
Level 4

Could you please share how i will take SAP bakcup without SAP agent and using database agent. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Use the relevant agent guide to configure backups for the databases.