cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Netbackup 6.5.2

Selwyn_Schultz
Level 3

I upgraded our production environment to 6.5.2 today.  While testing functionality I found that NDMP backups stopped working.  The finished with status code 114 which is undefined.  An error message in the job log file stated "path UNKNOWN". 

I backed off the update and NDMP backups started working again. 

I have opened a case with Symantec--nothing from them yet.

I would encourage others to add to this thread as other issues with 6.5.2 are found. 

12 REPLIES 12

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Selwyn Schultz wrote:
I would encourage others to add to this thread as other issues with 6.5.2 are found.

You mean like these?

KMS 6.5.2

Experiences with 6.5.2?

NBU 6.5.1 vs. 6.5.2

Netbackup 6.5.2 Patch Problem

Netbackup 6.5.2 and Sharepoint 3.0

Taking a Poll on 6.5.2 Patch Upgrade issues

to name a few! Smiley Surprised

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3

I upgraded our NetBackup from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2 and now we can't restore from any image pre-upgrade. Symantec wanted to blame our tape library vendor (Spectra Logic). Spectra Logic says they are blameless and I have to agree with them. We were working just fine before the upgrade and now we can't restore from those old images. Symantec has escalated our case to Level 3 but I'm not sure how much help that will be. I'll update the thread as things progress.

We have Ultrium LTO4 drives and we are using Blue Scale encryption at the library level, not in the NBU policies.

George_Bowen
Level 3
When you get a response to this issue, please post it.  We have the same tape library vendor and we are considering the upgrade to NBU 6.5....The only difference are the drives.  We are using LTO2.

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3
We have uninstalled the 6.5 Update 2 package on the master server and all the media servers. These are all Windows 2003 Servers with SP2. They were all rebooted. We still can't restore from backups done before the upgrade was installed. Interesting thing is that we can restore from backups done just last night while the 6.5.2 version was installed. Very strange and not in a good way.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

6.5.2 haves a lot of bugs I have a log posts like this I will recomed to wait for 6.5.2a, here just one little issue with nbpem

http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/Veritas-bu/2008-06/msg00297.html

regards

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3
It turns out that when Netbackup 6.5.2 is installed it pushes a seed to each LTO4 drive. This is not removed when downgrading. The drives had to be power-cycled to remove this new seed. We are now fully operational at 6.5.1 and all our backups are restorable including the ones created while we were at 6.5.2.

George_Bowen
Level 3
Talked to some Symantec Engineers yesterday.  That strongly stated that anyone needing to upgrade to 6.5.2 should wait until 6.5.2a.  One of the errors that they stated that was being fixed in the new release pertains to multi-plexing.  Granted unix_sysadmin, this doesn't help you out any.  I am still real interested in your problem and how it get resolved.

Saluki_Fan
Level 3
When is 6.5.2a expected to be released? I would like to know how long the wait will be so I can inform my boss.

George_Bowen
Level 3
It was stated that 6.5.2a is to be released 15 July.  Now if that hold true or not remains to be seen...  :)

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

we have successfully upgraded to 6.5.2 and our NDMP backup's are perfectly working, even i was to able to restore old data also. i mean from backup taken in 5.1 mp6, as we migrated directly from 5.1 mp6 to 6.5.2

i too heard of the problem you are stating, in case you face any problem in NDMP drives, check whether the drives point out to the right path. you can manully change it in the administration console.

regards,

Srikanth.

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3
Spectra Logic has sent out information about not upgrading to NetBackup 6.5.2 if you are using drive-level encryption with LTO4 drives. The new KMS in 6.5.2 actually clears the encryption key in the drive resulting in unencrypted backup images on tape. The solution was to downgrade to 6.5.1 and power cycle the drives. Power cycling the drives causes them to reload their own hardware level encryption key. According to the alert from Spectra Logic, they are working with both Symantec and IBM (Ultrium LTO4 vendor).

Selwyn_Schultz
Level 3

Can you tell me what NAS appliance you are using? 

The issue we were having did not result from the Netbackup not being able to find a drive path tapes were loaded and ready to go.  The issue occurred when data started streaming from the NAS.  I think Netbackup could not handle the metadata being passed to it from the dump utility running on the NAS appliance.