cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java administration console hanging freezing error problems

mlockwood
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
We recently performed an upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 (MP4) on our Solaris master server.  We installed the 6.0 version of the Java admin console on a windows box to manage it.  It was working for about the first day but now we are having issues.  We can log in via the java console to the master no problem but various parts of the console either don't show, show up with java errors, or make the console hang to the point where the process has to be killed.  I'm not sure whether this is a java mismatch problem or just a java install problem on either the master or the windows client.  The windows client is at JRE1.4.2 and the Solaris box is patched past the recomended level by Symantec.  We can log in with the non-java console (the windows admin console is installed on a media server) and move around no problem.  We also have tried the java console from multiple PCs with the same problem.

Any insight on this issue would help greatly,
Thanks, Matt
6 REPLIES 6

Randy_Weis
Level 3
I am having the same issue. I actually can get the java console to run on the Sun master, but not remotely from my PC or a windows media server. No responses yet? Yikes. I will continue to trouble shoot. If you have come up with anything else, please post, and I will do the same.

Todd_Bevins
Level 3
I am having the same issue.  Spinning V of Death when I select the Media in the JAVA GUI.

Todd_Bevins
Level 3
My Windows Java client is now working.  I installed the Java MP4 patch.  Installed is a loose term, because it involves overwriing the files in the C:\Program files\Veritas 6.0\java.  Your destination directory may vary depending on how or where you installed it.  I did not download the file so I am not sure where it came from, but was available to me on a public share at work.  The file was:  vrtsnb_java_60_4_m.tar.z.  When unziped this file contaings the .tar, and once that is unziped you will see the java folder and has a vrts sub folder.  Overwrite your old java folder with the new.  I now see all my media and does not time out.

Stumpr2
Level 6
thanks for the update

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 07-30-200705:35 PM

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
The NBU Java Admin Console always installs it's own copy of the Java JRE (Java Runtime Environment), and this is true for all O/S flavours to the NBU Java Admin Console.  The NBU Java Console is very specific to it's bundled "jre".  Normally most systems will have a copy of "jre" for other apps etc, and then NetBackup has it's own.  The two should never meet, and certainly the "jre" in the NetBackup "java" folder should not be messed with or modified.

Also, if you upgrade a master, media or client, then by the same token, you should also update all the other add-ons, e.g. Lotus Domin, MS SQL, MS Exchange "database options" etc etc and also, if you use it, the NetBackup Java Admin Console.  You can't expect a base "GA" (General Availability) NetBackup Java Admin Console to work with a NetBackup server that has been updated to a "MPn" level.  How is the older Java Console supposed to know what to do with any new features/protocols in something that is a higher version...

Randy_Weis
Level 3
Like many other issues like this, the answer is obvious once someone points it out.

Updating the remote Java 6.0 console with MP4 certainly fixed the issues.

Thanks.