cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs won't run to tape but will to Disk stage

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I am running NB6 MP2 run on a GIG backbone, I have several servers that are running 100Mb/Full that will not backup to tape. However they will backup just fine through disk staging. the following is the error I get from the job:

6/23/2006 9:09:19 AM - started process bpbrm (2272)
6/23/2006 9:09:28 AM - Error bptm(pid=3708) listen() error on data socket, No error
6/23/2006 9:09:28 AM - end writing
network connection timed out(41)

It is unusual because it is not even connecting with the client when we try to backup to tape. 7 of the servers are outside my firewall and the last is within my domain. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Stumpr2
Level 6
backing up to themselves as media servers or to a media server as regular clients?

AKopel
Level 6
Are your TAPE media servers the same as your DISK staging media servers?

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
Ok, the jobs to tape run on a media server, but the Disk stage jobs run to my Master server. Also, one of the jobs is 1 of 2 servers in a policy, 1 server backs up fine bu the other gives the error above.

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
The are backing up as regular clients.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please restate your answer Aaron's question. I don't quite understand.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I have a Master/media server and a media server. All my servers that backup to tape run against my Media server and all my disk stage and NDMP run against my Master/Media server.

I have a policy with 2 servers in it, the first server backs up to tape without issue. The second server will only backup to disk stage, otherwise it receives the error listed above.

I have another policy that has several servers and the entire policy will only backup to Disk stage and never to tape.

In short the answer to Aaron's question is NO the tape and disk stage media server are different. However, I built them both with W2K3 SP3 from our standard server build, they are practically identical.

AKopel
Level 6
Can you get to the client from your media server (portqry -n clienname -e 13724) should get "Listening"
Also, do the reverse from the client (portqry -n mediaserver -e 13724) should get "listening" again)

Also, is the media server listed in the Host properties "Server" section to make sure it is allowed?

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
Yes, the Portqry command works in both directions. Yes, I am able to access the server under "Host Properties" and then client. I am able to open the server and see all of its settings. It set up like all the rest of my servers. Also, my master & media servers are all listed under the servers tab.

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
When we load NB we do a modified install using a special account for the Netbackup service to run as. I changed the Netbackup Service to Local System and now the backup is running.

Stumpr2
Level 6
> and now the backup is running.....

So now you can go enjoy the World Cup?

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I would rather be back at home in Michigan watching the Pistons and the Red Wings, but since I am here I suppose I can watch a little bit of European Football. Its not so bad, the pay packet is nice and I get to travel (when the servers don't break)....