cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of Netbackup clients

Kayser
Level 3

Hello, people...

I have upgraded our Netbackup from 7.6.0.4 to 7.7.2.

I need a list with all clients with agent installed( to upgrade it) , but the GUI only shows part of them.

The clients in policy with qVMware Intelligent Policy query are not in the list...

Anyone know how to get this?

Thanks in advance...

13 REPLIES 13

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

VMware clients does not list in Host properties of Master server, and they does not need to have Netbackup clients installed for backups... they need to netbackup installed and configured only in case you are looking for file and direcotry restore in the the VM.

if you would like to have the list of VMs, 

1) if you are using the manual vm seleciton you can pull that info form Clients tab from VM.

2) if you are using query based Vm selection in policy.. you need to run test query from policy or nbdiscover command to get the VMs that are included in Backups..( this list is dynamic)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup does not have any way of knowing or detecting which machines have NBU software installed.

First NBU knows of the existence of a client is when the backup admin adds it to a policy.

Host Properties will only list clients that appear in a backup policy.

Tousif
Level 6

Hello Kayser,

Not sure, But I think you are taking backup using VMware policy type and you want to see the all client in that policy should listed in client properties.

If yes then NBU client doesn't install on client servers and there is no policy for that client server.

If you create policy for any xyz client in NBU it will show in NBU master server client properties but it doesn't mean that master server resolve that client and comunicate.

You need to install the NBU client packages on that client and NBU services should running.

When you click on any client to check the properties. Master contact client server  to fetch the client information.

Thanks

Kayser
Level 3

Thanks for the answers.

The clients I´m looking to list are VMs with SQL, that have the agent installed. The inclusion in the policy is by a query.

I need to list all the clients to check the one´s that I haven´t upgraded yet...

Any idea?

Best Regards.

Kayser.

Marianne
Level 6

Seems it will unfortunately be a manual process....... 

With some scripting (using bpimagelist) you could possibly list Client names backed up with VMware policy type, then use @sdo 's script to connect to client list to retrieve NBU version. 

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Downloads/Windows-script-to-collect-NetBackup-client-details-in-to-a-CSV/...

I´m just running the script now.

It´s a shame that the software itself does not offer an automatic answer to such a banal thing.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Hello Kayser,

There is no direct command or option to get this information in NBU.

Could you please run the below command from unix master or media server.

Below command will list all client listed in policies.

bppllist -l -allpolicies | grep CLIENT | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u >/tmp/list

Create one touch file

#touch /tmp/clientlist.sh

Give the 777 permission to that file.

#chmod 777 /tmp/clientlist.sh

Open that file using vi command

#vi /tmp/clientlist.sh

Put following contain in that file and save it.

#!/bin/bash

while read p;
do
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpgetconfig -g $p -L >>/tmp/clientinfo
done </tmplist

Now run that script. It will try to connect each and every client of you environment to fetch the information.

Save the information to /tmp/clientinfo file.

I do not have lab access not so I haven't get chance to test this script today

If you are intrested then please run this script and share the result or I will try this in my lab tomorrow.

Thanks & Regards,

Hello Kayser,

The NBU master do not provide the modified information to user. If it desing like that the application become very complex and defficult to manage the query and maintain the database. For that NBU provide very good tool, call OpsCenter.

This product give you multiple option to genrate the day to day reports and very helpful for modified script and report. It help to reduce the day to day manuall work of admin.

Example:

Backup failure

Backup complition

Data size backedup 

etc .....

For more information please refer the OpsCenter guide.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000004623

Thanks & Regards,

Very thanks, Tousif.

I´ve run the command, but it only shows clients that are explicited in a policy.

What I need is a list of all the clients that have agent installed.

I´ll continue to search a way, since the Netbackup itself doesn´t give us this...

Meanwhile, I will have to list from a backup report, and verify the version, vm to vm...

Best Regards.

Thanks, Tousif.

We use the Opscenter, but I haven´t found yet a report that could give us this kind of answer.

But I´ll continue my search, and if I find something, I´ll post here.

Regards.

Kayser.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

if you have OpsCenter Analytics, you can use SQl based report:

select name,versionlabel from domain_client
where
isinfopresent=1
and
retired=0
and
deleted=0
and
versionlabel<>'-'
order by 2 asc

- maybe some additional tuning of WHERE clause will be required for your environment.

Regrads

Michal

Genericus
   VIP   

Use the JAVA GUI, expand NetBackup Management, in the left hand window (tree view), expand Host Properties, then select Clients.

Select a Host in the right hand window, then either use CTRL-A or right click and select all.

Wait a LONG TIME - you can sort by Operating system or Version, - if you know your SQL hosts, you can just select them, but you can easily get a listing of all the version of all your clients.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Hello Kayser,

There are some provision to create modified query to get the desired output OpsCenter.

If you have valid license for OpsCenter then contact NBU support team may be they can help you in this.

Please contact Veritas Support team to get some more help.

Thanks & Regards,