cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logs Deletion

Yuvi
Level 5
Certified

We have a mistakenly specified the " Keep Logs" in master server properties as 500 days and the logs folder shows huge size 

and now we have analysed and change it to 30 days and do

Now i need a cmd line option to delete all the logs content and keeping the last one month logs

Please give me the correct syntax.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

NetBackup checks the retention value for the logs and automatically deletes them once rentention is over hence in your case you dont have to do anything ..... just wait for a day or restart NetBackup services ... logs older than 30 days will be automatically deleted.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you are using legacy log found in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/<process name> just delete the logs with os command but DO NOT delete the log for 'today'

For Unified logs (eg. nbemm, nbpem etc ) run ...

vxlogmgr -F

Regards,

Martin

PS.

If you are unsure where these commands are , please see section A in this post.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-basics-and-how-make-your-life-easier

Yuvi
Level 5
Certified

And thats fine i need to delete all the logs respective to the date as i have told earlier in the 

<install path>\veritas\netbackup\ogs\

like bptm,bpbrm,bprd,nbemm...and respective logs inside the above path not folder only logs

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

NetBackup checks the retention value for the logs and automatically deletes them once rentention is over hence in your case you dont have to do anything ..... just wait for a day or restart NetBackup services ... logs older than 30 days will be automatically deleted.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh good point - vxlogmgr -F would delete the logs up until the ones being written at the moment.

OK, this would delete the vx logs up until a certain date .

vxlogmgr --del -e "01/10/2012 09:00:00 AM"

Anshu above has also pointed out that NBU should clean up utomatically if you wait.

Persoanlly, I back logs up using a policy and then use the bpnotify end script to clear them out 'manually'.  So, I never have more than one days worth of logs on the server, but have any log available for xx days back, I just have to restore it ...

Martin

Yuvi
Level 5
Certified

Sounds Great...

Ohhh That was a great point i just changed  the value to 30 days and restarted the services it deleted the data. 

i have also doubt on this thanks for your clarification.

Yuvi
Level 5
Certified

Thanks Ji for your cmd line option issue resoved by the above solution....