cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP with OST to DataDomain ???

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Anyone know if there is (will be) possible to attach an OpenStorage (ost) IP-Device like a DataDomain-box to an existing windows NetBackup MSDP?

The config wizards will not let me....

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can't see why it shouldn't. Post the steps you're following, and the error (or lack of it) please.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you installed the OST plug-in?

Have you added the DD as a Storage server?

Steps to perform is contained to a limited extend in Shared Storage Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127070.

Detailed steps in the DD for NBU Admin guide (supplied by your EMC/DD reseller).

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Have installed 2.2.2.0 ost-driver, tried on both 7.0.1 and 7.1

On my running MSDP, the only DiskPool-type I can create, is of type PureDisk.

Trying to add an OpenStorage server on the same MSDP server ! (doesn't sound right to me) failes with:

"invalid command parameter

RDSM has encountered an issue with STS where the server was not found: getStorageServerInfo".

------------

And similar, on a running OpenStorageServer, the scenario is exactly opposite, only OpenStorage disk type.

-----------

Takes 2 mins to reproduce using the ConfigWizards in AdminGUI.

Anyone seen this?

RiaanBadenhorst

You must configure the storage server before you configurate disk pool.

nbdevconfig -creatests -stype DataDomain -storage_server xxxx -media_server xxxx

And we'll assume you have an Enterprise Disk License installed smiley

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Have tried.....yes everything-license, Same error/message on command line:                                      RDSM has encountered an issue with STS where the server was not found: getStorageServerInfo

Failed to create StorageServer dd02, invalid command parameter  

Anyone managed to configure this?

RiaanBadenhorst

Post what you're doing/seeing from CLI please.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

the command -stype is case sensitive.

you have to write "DataDomain"

Is it a DataDomain or perhaps a Quantum Dxi? There you have to write it like this "Quantum_IP", e.g. Quantum_192.168.100.1

best regards

Dominik

Marianne
Level 6

Have you started by verifying hostname lookup between DD and media server?

You need to add DD to media server hosts file and the media server IP/hostname on the DD:
net hosts add ipaddr {host | "alias host"}

Your Dedupe Media server is still a Media server under NBU and config will be no different to any other media server.

Extract from DD for NBU admin guide:

Media server configuration consists of the following procedures:
• registering each Data Domain system;
• adding credentials for each media server that is to communicate with a Data Domain system;
• creating disk pools;
• creating storage units, which are collections of disk pools; and
• setting backup policies.

Note the step before disk pool(s) can be added.

More extracts from manual:

Register the Data Domain systems
1. On the media server, start the backup application’s services.
See NetBackup Services on page 23. (Unix: nbrmms, Win: NBU Remote Manager and Monitor Service)
2. Verify that the plug-in is detected by the backup application by entering:
# bpstsinfo -pi
The output shows the vendor version, which is the plug-in version, and the build version, which is the OST API version.
3. Register a Data Domain system by entering:
# nbdevconfig -creatests -st 9 -stype DataDomain -storage_server <DD-name> -media_server <media-server>
4. Repeat the above procedure for each OST-enabled Data Domain system.

Add credentials
1. On a media server that is to communicate with a Data Domain system, enter:
# tpconfig -add -storage_server <DD-name> -stype DataDomain -sts_user_id username -password password
2. Repeat the above step for each media server that is to communicate with a specific Data Domain system.

Creating Disk Pools

Here the manual describe steps to create disk pool for DD-name (Storage Server, not media server)

Next you create STU for the disk pool where you can add all the media servers that can access the STU.

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Customer have 4 mediaservers (OpenStorage/storageservers) writing to two DD's over OST. On two of these mediaservers we like to add MSDP's. So I cannot play to much around in that scenario. My lab have opposite : msdp's trying to add DD.

- Sorry long time no action, ...done some testing. Looks like I have to reconfigure my OpenStorage-type storageservers to MediaServer dedup storageservers. I will not do this on a friday, - tuesday is a good day.

If someone knows if this is possible in an other way, let me know....