cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL parallel backup operations

Hermann_O
Level 3

Hello all,

I've got a question regarding parallel backup operations using a sql intelligent policy in NBU 8.1.1.

Currently we've got a policy with multiple SQL instances selected, limit jobs oer policy isn't selected and parallel backup operations is set to 4 and client dedupe is used.

This means every instance is starting to backup at the same time and backups up 4 databases parallel.

So far so good.

But what actually happens is the following:

DB1-4 are backed up.

DB1 is large so takes up to an hour for the backup.

DB2-4 are small and are finished within a few minutes.

The backup of databases DB5-8 is only starting as soon as all 4 database backups are finished. 

So effectivly 4 backups are started and after some minutes only one backup is running for an hour without any other parallel backup.

What I would like to have is that the next databases are backed up as soon as one finishes so DB1 is running along the other smaller databases are backed up.

It seems like it's doing this only if I select each database in a job and not the instance since NetBackup is acting differently then. So what I've tested is the following:

I go into the Instances and Databases tab, click on New and then go into the instance and select all databases instead of the instance.

Then I start the backup job and what I can see is that for every database a parent job is created (if I select the instance only one parent job is created). Then DB1 is backed up which takes an hour and parallel DB2-8 are backed up so it's not waiting until 4 backups are completed.

The problem is with that configuration I have to select each new databases as soon as one is added- the configuration with the instance would just backup all and I don't have to take care about new databases.

Do you have any idea why NetBackup is waiting until all parallel backup operations are completed until the next ones are starting when selecting the instance? 

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

all intelligent mssql policies create a temporary *.bch ( "legacy") script on the client which is then launched.

Instance-level intelligent policy create a .bch file with all found databases and keyword BATCHSIZE <n> at the beginning. The doc states about this keyword:

This setting tells NetBackup to start the first three operations in parallel.After these are completed, NetBackup then begins the next set of 3.

On the other side, database-level policy create .bch file for each found databases, they are then launched paralelly, restricted only by policy/storage unit limits.

So I am afraid there is no way to achieve your goal without extensive additional scripting.

Log it as an enhancement.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

all intelligent mssql policies create a temporary *.bch ( "legacy") script on the client which is then launched.

Instance-level intelligent policy create a .bch file with all found databases and keyword BATCHSIZE <n> at the beginning. The doc states about this keyword:

This setting tells NetBackup to start the first three operations in parallel.After these are completed, NetBackup then begins the next set of 3.

On the other side, database-level policy create .bch file for each found databases, they are then launched paralelly, restricted only by policy/storage unit limits.

So I am afraid there is no way to achieve your goal without extensive additional scripting.

Log it as an enhancement.

Regards

Michal