cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual backup vs Scheduled backup

jvmagic
Level 3

Hi,

If I run a manual backup and because of the amount of data being backed up it overlaps into the scheduled backup what happens with this overlapping?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NetBackup, by default, has limited 1 job per client and 1 job per policy. You can modify these values but you take the risk of high disk I/O, which is why they are set to 1.

If you have not modified these values then NetBackup will wait on that client/policy till its done before kicking off a new backup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NetBackup, by default, has limited 1 job per client and 1 job per policy. You can modify these values but you take the risk of high disk I/O, which is why they are set to 1.

If you have not modified these values then NetBackup will wait on that client/policy till its done before kicking off a new backup.

jvmagic
Level 3

SymTerry, what if I modifiy to a different number? Will it only cost higher I/O?

Thanks again.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If you Modify it, then it will run two jobs at the same time either with the policy or the client depending on what you set. You will have a higher I/O, but you would not miss the scheduled job window. The concern is, if this is a production server, you will take a performance hit depending on your servers load at the time of backup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This article explains how manual backups affect scheduled backups as far as Frequency based schedules are concerned:
NetBackup Frequency Based Scheduling