cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Netbackup client settings change

DevinDerrickson
Level 2

I am trying to add a media server to the "Server to use for backups and restores" on our Netbackup clients. I noticed that the 7.6.1 install has a "Silentinstall.cmd" where the server list can be editted pre-install .We are currently on 7.6.1.2, and that installer does not have "Silentinstall.cmd", rather, a "Silentpatch.cmd".

How do we go about making the needed changes to about 400+ clients? Can we run the 7.6.1 installer, and it keeps the 7.6.1.2 install bits entact? Will running the 7.6.1 installer revert it back, and we have to run the 7.6.1.2 installer again?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
7.6.1.2 is a patch and will not change existing Server entries on clients.

You can also run the add_media_server_on_clients command from a NetBackup master server to synchronize the server list from the master to all known clients.

Please schedule upgrade to 7.7.x ASAP as all versions up to 7.6.x will reach EOSL in 4 months.

My assumption is that the below command will not work for VMs, as they are not a known client under the Master Server host properties.

Marianne
Level 6
It only applies to clients where NBU is installed.

I apologize Marianne, I wasn't clear. We have the client installed on every server in our environment, but we do not backup all servers using this client. For Virtual Machines, the client is only there to provide file level restores directly to the server.

Then you can update the server list with bpconfig from the master, I have usually done a small script with bpplclients and bpconfig

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried to run add_media_server_on_clients command on the master server as per my previous post?

See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000031877