cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server to Media Server

NolanE
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
I need some help or information on how to migrate a master server to a media server. I have 2 windows 2003 master servers running Netbackup 6.5, I want to make the one server a media server and I want to know how do I go about doing this. The policies and catalogs that is now on the master server I want to change what will happen to it will I have to recreate all this policies and copy the catalogs over? Is there a way to do a migration of this? Thanks Nolan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you are new to NBU, best to ask Symantec or your local reseller for assistance. If you attempt to merge masters yourself, you need to fully understand the database structures and risks involved in a DIY solution. If anything goes wrong, Symantec Support might be 'less than willing' to assist... Symantec Consulting have special merge-tools to merge two EMM databases.
The two methods described below will not merge EMM databases.

To enable restores from Master2 there are two ways to accomplish this:
  1. Import tapes from Master2 one-by-one
  2. Use 'Recovery without Import' method
You have to ensure that media id's in the 2 robots are unique - you cannot have media id A00001 in robot 0 as well as media id A00001 in robot 1.

For method 1: On Master2, run Media Lists report - this will create a list with all tapes containing backups.
Do a catalog backup and keep this tape in a safe place. Uninstall NBU on Master2.  Add Master2 as SERVER on Master1. Install Master2 as Media Server. Select Master1 as Master and EMM server during installation.
Use GUI on Master1 and use the Device Wizard to scan and robot and tape drives for new media server.
Create a new pool that will accommodate media id's obtained from Media List report above (something like Restore or Import, etc). Inventory new robot. Move tapes from Media List report to this pool. Start with imports (instructions in Admin Guide I). This is a LENGTHY process that will take at least as long as the backups did.

For method 2: This process is based on this White Paper (although old, still supported): http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs...

On Master2, run Media Lists report - this will create a list with all tapes containing backups.
Do a catalog backup and keep this tape in a safe place. Copy images (as per White Paper) to Master1. Uninstall NBU on Master2.  Add Master2 as SERVER on Master1. Install Master2 as Media Server. Select Master1 as Master and EMM server during installation.
Use GUI on Master1 and use the Device Wizard to scan and robot and tape drives for new media server.
Create a new pool that will accommodate media id's obtained from Media List report above (something like Restore or Import, etc). Inventory new robot. Move tapes from Media List report to this pool. Restores should work without any further intervention. No need for FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER, as the media server specified in the images copied across to Master1 will contain the name of the server that is now a media server. You will need to keep an eye on expiration dates as per the White Paper and original Media List report. Manual intervention wrt media expiration  might be necessary.

Once you have taken care of tapes containing backups, the rest of the tapes from Master2 can be added to Scratch and/or normal backup pools. Create Storage Unit for new robot & tape drive(s), add policies, test backups.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sriram
Level 6
Hi Nolan,

By default Master server will function as media server.

You can still use one of the master as complete media server by having the other doing only master activlties.

Hope this helps.

NolanE
Level 4
I know this but the 2 server are currently setup as both master servers with each having their own library. I have a new library and now one of the servers needs to be changed to a media server.

The servers has been running like this for the last 5 years, so my question is what will happen to all the jobs & catalog on the server that I want to change to the media server?

Thanks

Nolan

Marianne
Level 6

If I understand your request correctly - you want to merge 2 master servers, right? You want Master1 to remain the master and Master2 to become a media server under Master1 control?

It all depends on whether you need to merge databases (policies, images, devices, media). If you need to merge, you will need to contact Symantec Consulting Services.

If you are prepared to 'scrap' Master2, you can uninstall NBU on it, re-install it as media server. Configure new policies, devices, etc. Import tapes needed for restores in new environment.

NolanE
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

Yes that is correct I want to merge 2 master servers, the thing is I can recreate all the policies on the master server the only thing when I will need to do a restore from the server that was changed to a media server how will I go about doing that?

I am fairly new to Netbackup and haven’t done this before.

Marianne
Level 6
If you are new to NBU, best to ask Symantec or your local reseller for assistance. If you attempt to merge masters yourself, you need to fully understand the database structures and risks involved in a DIY solution. If anything goes wrong, Symantec Support might be 'less than willing' to assist... Symantec Consulting have special merge-tools to merge two EMM databases.
The two methods described below will not merge EMM databases.

To enable restores from Master2 there are two ways to accomplish this:
  1. Import tapes from Master2 one-by-one
  2. Use 'Recovery without Import' method
You have to ensure that media id's in the 2 robots are unique - you cannot have media id A00001 in robot 0 as well as media id A00001 in robot 1.

For method 1: On Master2, run Media Lists report - this will create a list with all tapes containing backups.
Do a catalog backup and keep this tape in a safe place. Uninstall NBU on Master2.  Add Master2 as SERVER on Master1. Install Master2 as Media Server. Select Master1 as Master and EMM server during installation.
Create a new pool that will accommodate media id's obtained from Media List report above (something like Restore or Import, etc). Inventory new robot. Move tapes from Media List report to this pool. Start with imports (instructions in Admin Guide I). This is a LENGTHY process that will take at least as long as the backups did.

For method 2: This process is based on this White Paper (although old, still supported): http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs...

On Master2, run Media Lists report - this will create a list with all tapes containing backups.
Do a catalog backup and keep this tape in a safe place. Copy images (as per White Paper) to Master1. Uninstall NBU on Master2.  Add Master2 as SERVER on Master1. Install Master2 as Media Server. Select Master1 as Master and EMM server during installation.
Create a new pool that will accommodate media id's obtained from Media List report above (something like Restore or Import, etc). Inventory new robot. Move tapes from Media List report to this pool. Restores should work without any further intervention. No need for FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER, as the media server specified in the images copied across to Master1 will contain the name of the server that is now a media server. You will need to keep an eye on expiration dates as per the White Paper and original Media List report. Manual intervention wrt media expiration  might be necessary.

Once you have taken care of tapes containing backups, the rest of the tapes from Master2 can be added to Scratch and/or normal backup pools. Create Storage Unit for new robot & tape drive(s), add policies, test backups.