cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master move new hostname dilemma

Doctorski
Level 5
Hi,
    I have the following dilemma and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My master server is being upgraded to a HPUX 11.23 V2i Itanium server with a new hostname. Keeping old hostname is not an option.

I am currently running 5.1 MP2 (HPUX, Linux, W2K media servers)  which is not supported on the above platform so I am forced to upgrade to 6.0 MP4 first, before attempting the master move. ;-(

I have done master moves at 5.1 but not at 6.0. (Currently about to test one !!)

Has anybody moved a master at 6.0 MP4. If so any tips would be great.

Thanks - Darren

2 REPLIES 2

Deanne_Upshaw
Level 2
I can not answer all your questions, but I do know that if you change the master server name you will have problems with any restores that were created with the old master name. We found that if you add the following line to the bp.conf file you can change names and not affect the restores.

On the new server:

FORCE_RESTORE= <old master server name>

Doctorski
Level 5
Thanks Deanne,
                          I plan to move all media assosciated with the "old" master to another media server prior to the master move.

Install afresh on the new master.
Then recover all catalogs to the new master server.
Issue vmglob -set_gdbhost "new master server" on all media servers
Then reassign "old" master server media to the new master.

This will happen in a mini test environment first so ist a bit of a suck it and see exercise.

Symantec have quoted 3 days for professional services to do the job. I reckon 1/2 day at the most !!