cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media ID Name issue

Rolie
Not applicable

Ok, so we had an issue with our IBM tape Library which a tech came out to fix.  During the fix he upgraded a pile of firmware, which he was not supposed to do.  NOW after getting everything back up and online ALL of the media in the library show up as a completely new Barcode and Media ID naming convention. 

So if originally there was a A00012 tape, now it is showing that tape in the standalone area but also a NEW tape ID is called 0012L3.  The new tape is assigned to the robot while the old tape is not, even though these are the exact same physical tape media.

So not, none of the backups OR restores are working since the Robot is confused as to what tape to use and where they actually are since it can not see the originals and has no clue what to do with the new tape IDs.

So I am sort of looking for some input here since I have never seen this and have really no good idea where to start to resovle this issue.  Plus I have not used Netbackup that horribly much so I am not quite sure if it is even possible to get everything up and working without wiping out all the tapes.

please if you anyone can shed some light, it would make my headache go away.

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Look at page 565 "Media ID Generation tab" in the Netbackup admin guide. I think that will solve you're problem.

Regards

Nicolai

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

There's a good possibility that your engineer has changed the way your library reads its barcodes & the info it then passes to NetBackup.

Initially it looked to be set up to read only the first 6 digits of the barcode & now is reading the last 6. I would either trawl thru' any manuals you have for your tape library to change it back, or, get your engineer back to fix what he broke!!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Andy is correct.

I have at TS3310 (3576) and the same happened to me.

if you have a gui interface - go through all your screens and find where the library is told how to report tapes.