cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server in a Windows Cluster

Zigoze
Level 4
Hi, I want to install a Media Server over a two node MS Windows Cluster, so that I can use the Shared Storage Option on my library. The problem is, when running the installation wizard, the option to install Netbackup Media Server is greyed out! The only available option is Netbackup Master Server... By I already have a master server, and do not want any other... just want to be able to share my drives with the SSO option... Isn't Media Server supported on windows clusters? Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zigoze
Level 4

Well... it seems a reboot is most times a good solution... restarted the nodes, and now the option to install locally the media server already is available...

Problem solved.

Thank you all.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified
Let me know which Netbackup version you are using , because in Netbackup 7.0 media server cluster installation is not supported , that may be the reason you are facing this issue .

You can install media server with out clustering and still you can configure SSO option .

Regards,
Rajesh

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Interesting........ surprise
I found these statements in the NBU 7 Install Guide for Windows:

New NetBackup 7.0 media servers cannot be clustered.
However, you can upgrade existing 6.x clustered media servers to 7.0 and still keep them clustered

So what if one wants to configure each node as a media server individually? Still not allowed?
I have quickly browse through the Cluster section in the installation guide, but can't find any reference to such a procedure.... yet...

David_McMullin
Level 6

Isn't the procedure to set them up as individual media servers, then run a cluster command:
{install path}/bin/cluster_config

Maybe that is only on unix, or is not available anymore in 7.0 ( I am on 6.5.4)

Zigoze
Level 4
Yes, you are right Marianne... It is netbakup 7.0, and also i've noticed that statement on the manuals....

So now my question is:

To implement Shared Storage Option I need to install the Netbackup Media Server... If that option is greyed out... how to do it?... I've tried the wizard doing clustered and non-clustered (local installation) procedures... in both of them the option is greyed out...

I'm confused...

Zigoze
Level 4
7.0... But i'm not able to install either in clustered and non-clustered mode...

Marianne
Level 6
Zigoze, if you are unable to install them as individual media servers (selection remains greyed out), please log a call with Support.
I cannot see any reason why you should not be able to install them as individual media servers.

**** One more thought - what type of license key did you add when started the installation?
It has to be an Enterprise Server or Enterprise Client license (or else capacity based license).
NetBackup Server license does not allow media servers.

Zigoze
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

My license is an Enterprise Server license, and also have licenses for Entreprise Client, Standard Client, Shared Storage Option and Client Application and Database.

But the option to install the media server is always greyed out.

I've tried with our enterprise server license, and also with a 15 day evaluation (all open) license... with both the symptom is the same... media server installation is greyed out...

So, no other alternative other than logging a call at Symantec????

Thank you.

Marianne
Level 6
One last question before you log a call with Support:
What is the O/S on your cluster nodes? Have you checked O/S compatibilty guide?

If you are happy that your servers are supported as media servers, please log a support call ASAP

I've been searching different NBU 7 docs (Release Notes, Additional Operational Notes, etc).

Found the following in the NBU 7 HA Guide p.111:

Overview of non-failover cluster configurations
NetBackup can be installed as a non-failover application in a cluster, either as one
or more stand-alone media servers or as the NetBackup client.
Non-failover media servers in a cluster
With stand-alone media servers in a cluster, each server runs on a node of the cluster independently of the other. This installation does not provide failover protection of the NetBackup media server itself, but there can be other advantages to this approach.
p.112:
Installing NetBackup non-failover media servers in a cluster
The following procedure describes how to install NetBackup as a non-failover server.

To install NetBackup as a non-failover server
1 Install the NetBackup server as you would in a non-clustered environment, according to the instructions in the NetBackup Installation Guide.
The NetBackup server software (master or media) can be installed on any node in the cluster. During installation, specify the specific node name as the server name.
2 Continue with the configuration of NetBackup.
See “Configuring NetBackup non-failover media servers in a cluster” on page 112.

So - according to the manual it's supposed to work...
I'm just wondering if there's anyone else on this forum that has attempted to install NBU 7 media server on cluster nodes?

Zigoze
Level 4
On the compatibility lists, I see Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x86 and x64, with and without SP1 as supported... but I do not see nothing about SP2, wich is the one we have!!!

But it seems to me very strange that SP2 would not be supported!

What do you think?

Thank you

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"...
"Windows Service Packs (SP) are not explicitly qualified and are supported by default, unless noted otherwise below."
..."

Zigoze
Level 4

Well... it seems a reboot is most times a good solution... restarted the nodes, and now the option to install locally the media server already is available...

Problem solved.

Thank you all.

Marianne
Level 6

Were there left-overs from a previous installation?

Zigoze
Level 4
only from backup exec, probably, although i first uninstalled it...