cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media pool and volume pool in the tape libary system and NBU 7

ITBOY
Level 4
Hi,
We are going to deploy NBU 7 and tape libary will be connected to the NBU 7 server. Whenever I added the new tape to the available slot inside the tape library , I need to update the volume configuration in the NBU in order to recognize the new tape to the tape library system? Pls. advise how to update whenever new tape is manually added to the tape libary in order to recoginze from the NBU as well as tape libraray.
But media is tied to the backup policy and whenever that particular policy is run, any tape from that media pool is randomly grab from the media pool and inserted to the tape drive in order to backup ?
3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

What is the library type (not make and model, but "type") - is it "TLD" or "ACS"?

We usually make NetBackup aware of newly inserted media by performing a "robot inventory" from within the NetBackup admin GUI.  I believe that there is a "vm.conf" setting that can cause NetBackup to be aware of media insertion and perform auto inventories, but this may not work or be applicable to all libraries and/or library types, and I believe the line to insert in "vm.conf" is:
AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT

With v6.5, now you can limit the number partially full media.  See the manuals.  i.e. you can configure NetBackup to always attempt to use media that are not yet full and thus minimize your consumption of scratch media.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
NetBackup chooses qualifying media (i.e. correct density, active etc etc etc) that was least recently used.

There is actually a section in the "Admin Guide II" that deals with how NetBackup selects media.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You asked:
"Pls. advise how to update whenever new tape is manually added to the tape library in order to recognize from the NBU as well as tape library."

Manually is the question here.
If you open the door of the library and you put a tape into a slot - there is nothing that makes NB know you did this.  You would have to do an inventory with update of the library from NB for it to know.
If your library has a MAP (stands for Media Access Port)  this would be a door on the front of the library where you can put the tapes. Then you put the tapes here, and from the console do an inventory - selecting Update volume configuration AND Empty media access port prior to update.
This would then cause the library to move all the tapes from the MAP to internal slots and then it would update NB to know where those tapes are.  (here is also were BAR CODE RULES come into play)

You also asked:

"But media is tied to the backup policy and whenever that particular policy is run, any tape from that media pool is randomly grab from the media pool and inserted to the tape drive in order to backup ?"

Here read the manual that Andy referenced.  This question has been asked a lot on this forum. What tape it takes is based on number of mounts, if it already as data on it and what the retention is for that data.........  and if there are no avail tapes in that volume pool it will pull from the scratch pool.