cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server going offline.

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
I have a media server that, periodically, goes offline. It happens to be the server that our tape library is connected to. Not sure what is going on. Where is the first place I should look for?

smwoodcrafts
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Manoj_Siricilla
Level 4
Certified
When EMM doesn't receive a heartbeat from any of the media server's it will take the media server OFFLINE.

First place would be looking at the EMM logs.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vxlogview   -i 111 -t 06:00:00 > /tmp/nbemm_logs_last6hrs.log

Lets look at the emm logs for the last 6 hours. Look for instances such as "failed receiving heartbeat" or "heartbear not received" or for the word "OFFLINE".

Upload the log file if you could, you might have to increase the logging

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sriram
Level 6

In the media server check all MM and netbackup services are running:

MM services should have VMD, TLDCD, TLDD, LTID and AVRD

Then check this command from master server nbemmcmd -listhost.  This command should list the media server you want.

Manoj_Siricilla
Level 4
Certified
When EMM doesn't receive a heartbeat from any of the media server's it will take the media server OFFLINE.

First place would be looking at the EMM logs.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vxlogview   -i 111 -t 06:00:00 > /tmp/nbemm_logs_last6hrs.log

Lets look at the emm logs for the last 6 hours. Look for instances such as "failed receiving heartbeat" or "heartbear not received" or for the word "OFFLINE".

Upload the log file if you could, you might have to increase the logging

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
Thanks, that's exactly what happened EMM didn't see it and apparently hadn't seen it for a while. We checked the disk volume, did vxlogview, and then checked services. The services were not running, so we bounced it and it came back,

Thanks for your help with the problem and in helping me understand it.

smwoodcrafts

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

We got the media server back up, but it was up until the following Monday. It then went offline again.  I go it back up, but this morning, it went offline and online a few times until I bounced it. That seemed to stabilize it. The engineer had me use vxlogview on the media server to see if there were any severe or critcal errors. The error I see over and over is "Could not read header from server." Is there anything else I can check?

Sriram
Level 6
It seems that its not able to get the information from EMM database and it is intermitant.

Was this media server woking without this issue in the past and from when you are facing this issue.  Do you remember anyhing done to this server after which you are facing this issue.

Are all the basics correct, like nbemm -listhost shows the media server, master server bp.conf has both MEDIA_SERVER and SERVER entry for this media server, are all the media server licenses updated, are media server bp.conf correct etc.

Sriram
Level 6
Can you tell me for which NB process you are seeing this message in vxviewlog?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What O/S is the media server? If it's Windows, have a look at this TechNote:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295599.htm
NetBackup Services are randomly shutting down on Windows servers after applying a patch for McAfee McShield 8.5 or 8.7i.

The problem is not limited to the services in the TechNote. Event Viewer System log will contain entries for all services (other applications as well) being shudown.