Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media servers sharing media volumes?

bjuncosa
Level 2
   Hi,

I have a question about media servers and media volumes:

Is there any way that different media servers write in the same media volume?

For example:
Imagine the situation of having two media servers (A and B), both connected to the SAN.

The backup from the media server A writes in the media volume 0001L3. When this backup is finished, can media server B write in media volume 0001L3 from the point where the first backup has finished?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Borja.
5 REPLIES 5

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only way media will be "shared" is for a restore if the original media server is down and there has been a FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS entry entered in bp.conf.

Regards,

Patrick Whelan

bjuncosa
Level 2
   Thanks Patrik,

so what I might think is that each media server writes its own media volumes and it's the only one allowed to write in them, unless there is a Media Server crash and the FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS option is set.

Best regards,
Borja.

Tim_Rae
Level 3
Media sharing will be available in NetBackup 6.5 which will be released in July. This will enable media servers OR SAN media servers to share volumes which will saves media costs etc......

Cheers,
T

bjuncosa
Level 2
Thanks Tim!

I'll be waitting for the MP5 to be able to save some media volumes :)

Cheers,
Borja.

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
As Tim stated. Media will only be written by one Media Server until 6.5. Even with FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS set only one Media server will write to a given tape. The setting allows for restores if a media server is down.

Regards,

Patrick