cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating BE 2010Remote Sites into Central Netbackup

yobole
Level 6

We have a large number of WAN sites on local backup exec2010 solutions. I need to commence backing all these sites to the a central location using Netbackup 

Pre migration questions

• I intend to have just 1 policy WAN-Backups and have all the sites as client to this policy. Is this a good idea?
  • Also was wondering if there are any issues with Backup exec agent and Netbackup running on the same client as might be needed before final cut over?

Migration Plan

My Migration plan per site over two weekends per site include 

Weekend1

Weekend 2

• Run full back up on remote site with Backup Exec as normal
  • Disable backup exec services ( ?? is this needed)
  • Install Netbackup agent on remote client
  • Edit pd.conf file on client to use seeding fingerprint cache
  • Run first NetBackup backup job. (Will backup windows be adequate? if not can Backup exec and Netbackup overlap if needed???)
  • Uninstall Backup exec
  • Enable Netbackup client-side dedupe , accelerator 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen this TN under 'Related Articles'?

Unfortunately import of BE2010 images are not supported. Only up to BE12....

I do not have a workaround or solution for you as far as integrating these backups into NBU are concerned.
All I can suggest is to keep a BE media server at central site available with one Standalone tape drive for restores.

This means that your plans for seeding NBU via BE imports and duplication will not work. 
You will need to restore data with BE media server at central site and then backup to NBU MSDP if you do not want to perform the initial NBU backup over the WAN.

About BE and NBU Client software on same machine - all I can say is 'try'.

I remember a particular version of NBU would not install if BE agent was installed. Not sure if it has changed in the meantime.

If NBU installs fine alongside the BE agent, I will recommend that you stop BE services while NBU is running.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

U can call symantec technical team and took asistant

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen this TN under 'Related Articles'?

Unfortunately import of BE2010 images are not supported. Only up to BE12....

I do not have a workaround or solution for you as far as integrating these backups into NBU are concerned.
All I can suggest is to keep a BE media server at central site available with one Standalone tape drive for restores.

This means that your plans for seeding NBU via BE imports and duplication will not work. 
You will need to restore data with BE media server at central site and then backup to NBU MSDP if you do not want to perform the initial NBU backup over the WAN.

About BE and NBU Client software on same machine - all I can say is 'try'.

I remember a particular version of NBU would not install if BE agent was installed. Not sure if it has changed in the meantime.

If NBU installs fine alongside the BE agent, I will recommend that you stop BE services while NBU is running.

yobole
Level 6

Looking at embacking on this in the next two weeks .. will keep you updated