cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating NBU 6.5 master from Windows to AIX / Unix

duucfho
Level 3
Currently running a 6.5 windows master server (recently upgraded from 6.0).  Looking into possible migrating from windows to AIX.  Wondering if anyone has gone through a platform change, and what potential issues could possibly arise.

FYI, there are both windows and aix media servers currently...these will not change.  Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
We talked to symantec about this and they scared us enough that we are contracting with them to convert us from windows to unix.  We are going to have them upgrade us to 6.x at the same time.

I have not started the process yes so I cannot tell you how bad it will be.  Ask me again in a month.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I have previously asked first line support about converting a Windows v5.1 catalog to Unix, and I was told that it can't be done, and that Symantec don't have the ability to do such things either.  It seems I was led up the garden path by first line support yet again.  Big sighs.

Mr H, so it definitely can be done then?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Well I hope so, because we just signed a contract to have them convert us.
The thing they said was that they did not support you if you did the convert from windows to unix by yourself. but we would be supported if we had them do it.  That you had to becarefull because the location of the files is different on windows vs unix (duh!) and that you had to be sure you got them all in the corrrect place.

Our first plaining meeting is tomorrow to go over license requreiments for the upgrade and what I need on the new master/media's for the convertion in way of disk space and tuning issues.

duucfho
Level 3
I'm in the same boat now.  Just had our first conf call on engaging the consulting company.  We're waiting on a quote to see what the costs will be, because we need to purchase the new AIX hardware, as well as paying them to do the work for us.

They, too, told us it would only be supported if they did it, due to complexities.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Thanks guys. Seems it's time I got a quote too.