cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Netbackup media server from 6.5.4 to new Master server 7.5.4

nbutechie29
Level 3

Hi All,

Currently I am migrating two media servers from our legacy netbackup environment to the new Netbackup environment 7.5.4:

1. Windows 2003  media server which is currently version 6.5.4 to a new master server(Linux) which is at 7.5.4 version. It is attached to a tape library with two drives.  I have a few questions:
  1. Do I need to upgrade netbackup 6.5.4 on the media server prior to be migrated to the new Master server? Do I need to upgrade the Tape library firmware/drives/ driver prior to migration?
  2. Do I need to upgrade the Tape Library firmware/drives/driver prior to migration? (New master server?)
  3. Do I need to perform the catalog backup on the old master server? I don’t think it will be required since the media server will be move to a new Master server.
  4. Or  Can I just add the media server with the current version 6.5.4 to new Master server and then upgrade to 7.5.4?
  1. Linux media server (Tape library will be partition with the new media server)
    1. What steps do I need to install a new media server with a partition tape library
    2. What kind of device driver do I need to install for the tape library and tape drives? The library is a Quantum IScalar Tape Library with 4 LTO tape drives?
    3. Steps required prior to partition the library .

Thanks in advance for your information

6 REPLIES 6

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I can answer to most of your questions, but the migration from windows to Linux is not supported. To do this you need help from a specialized Symantec partner. If the retention of your backups is small (two to tree months) and the longer retention tape number is small, then you may consider starting from the beginning and import only the tapes with longer retention. If you still want to proceed with the transition, most people in this forum can help you with your questions.

nbutechie29
Level 3

Stefanos,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can you clarify migration from Windows? to Linux is not supported? Do you mean at the Master or Media or Client Level?

We are migrating two media servers version 6.5.4: one of the media servers is Windows 2003 and the other server is a Linux Red Hat 2.6. They can't be added to our new MASTER server (Linux 2.6 Netbackup 7.5)???

Please clarify.

Thank you

Marianne
Level 6

Before we discuss your media servers - what about your old master server?

What about all the backup images and tapes associated with the old master server?

Have you migrated old master (with all catalogs) to the new master?

StefanosM
Level 6

DO you migrating your master server from windows to linux or just the media server to another master (without the tapes)?

if you do not want to move the catalog from the old master server then moving a media server to a new master is easy.

you do not have to upgrade any firmware and you do not need to do a catalog backup (but it is recommended for both master servers).

• before the move  you must delete the configuration of the devices of the media server start
  • Open the old master server's GUI and go to host properties -> media servers and get the properties of the media server. Go to servers tab and add the new master server's name. Select the new name and click the make master button.
  • Open the old master server's GUI and go to host properties -> master server and get the properties of the old master server. Go to servers tab and delete the media server's name. click ok.
  • Then open your new master server's GUI and go to host properties -> master server and get the properties of the new master. Add the name of the media server to the server list and click ok.
  • Be sure that you have network connectivity and restart the media server.
  • when netbackup on the media server is up, open a command line on the master server and run the command nbemmcmd -listhosts.  The media server must be in this list. If not ask for help. One good start is to check the network.
  • Reconfigure the devises using the wizard
  • now you can upgrade (must) your media server to 7.5

If you need to move the clients that this media server was backing up you must disable the policies at the old master server and create new ones to the new master server. Also you must add the new server as master is there configuration. the same step (2) as I told you for the media server 

If you need to move there backups too, this is not supported. you must import the tapes or ask for help from symantec.

nbutechie29
Level 3
Hi Stephanos, here is the answer to your questions: Before we discuss your media servers - what about your old master server? We will keep the old master server for legacy backups and restores when needed. We will be only moving the two media servers to the new Master server. What about all the backup images and tapes associated with the old master server? Is it possible to move/migrate the existing backup images and tapes associated with the media server? Do I need to have connectivity (cables, zone) for the media server on the new Master Server? Have you migrated old master (with all catalogs) to the new master? No, we dont. The new master server was set up from scratch. We will like to migrate the existing media servers and their backups associated with it to the new Master server. Thanks in advance.

Marianne
Level 6

About migrating images from old master:

Is it possible to move/migrate the existing backup images and tapes associated with the media server?

I would normally say 'yes' here, but I am not 100% sure that copying image files as per legacy Recovery Without Import method will work. The reason for my doubt is because image headers in 7.5 are moved to EMM database. You may need to get consulting services to assist here.

Do I need to have connectivity (cables, zone) for the media server on the new Master Server?

If you mean SAN connectivity, there is no such requirement.
SAN connectivity (zoning) depends on where robot control is going to be (master or one of the media servers) and if drives will be shared (SSO license needed).
The only requirement is network connectivity between master and media servers.

Have you migrated old master (with all catalogs) to the new master?
No, we dont. The new master server was set up from scratch. We will like to migrate the existing media servers and their backups associated with it to the new Master server.

Apart from my concerns in reply above, it may be quite a challenge to identify image files for two media servers only.

Probably easiest to leave ALL images on old master as per your original intention:

We will keep the old master server for legacy backups and restores when needed.

You will need to remove ALL Assigned tapes from the robot to prevent new environment from overwriting valid, unexpired images.
You will need at least one tape drive in old environment for restores. This can be a standalone drive.
Add Media Host Override in old master Host Properties General Server settings.

Actually best to properly decommission the 2 media servers from old environment (please search Google or Symantec knowledge base for nbdecommission utility).

Best to use old master to add Server entry for new master to ALL clients that will be moved to new master.

About moving media server to new environment:

Easiest will be to completely uninstall existing NBU software, then install NBU 7.5 with Master and EMM server as new master. Patch to same level as new master.

At this point you need to ensure that tape drives (and robot depending on where robot control will be) are visible in OS device manager. It is recommended that latest vendor drivers be installed.

You can check the latest NBU 7 HCL for firmware and driver versions that were tested by Symantec.

Run Device Config Wizard in new environment to create devices and add Storage Units.

Test backups.

Once you are sure that all is working well in new environment, go to Host Properties again, select all clients, select new master in Server tab, then click on Make Master.

If any of the clients are database agent clients, you will need to change Master server hostname in all scripts.

PS: Any reason why you are not using the recommended and supported way to migrate to new hardware?
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447