Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most important NBU files...

J__M__MEYER
Level 4
Hi

(NBU 4.5 on a AIX 4.3.3 Machine)
I've tried to backup (unix backup command) all files in /usr/openv/netbackup/* to prevent disaster... but it take to long times about 10 hours because the size of DB is big.
So, now i want just to make a backup of some mosts importants files, like: bp.conf, license.txt, .../netbackup/bin/* and...??
I need some help to known what are the most important NBU files!
I think I don't need to backup the DB because i'm using catalog backup!
Has anyone a ideas?
Thankx in advance
jm
5 REPLIES 5

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
I would recommend performing a catalog backup using the bpbackupdb command.

Stumpr2
Level 6
hello jerome,

First off you should use RAID to protect the live files. I was surprised that you state 10 hours to do an OS backup of the file structure. What are you using tar?, dd, cpio? and to where? Are you going over a network? Perhaps you could create a local filesystem to squirrel away the netbackup files. As far as importance I would just do everything except the db/images and the debug logs. Hope this helps.

bob stump

J__M__MEYER
Level 4
Thanks of us for your help..
Yes, I'm using RAID on my System! When I made a system backup with the mksysb command on the root filesystems it takes about one hour but when i''m using the backup command for backup only the /usr/openv/netbackup filesystems (4mm Data Tape DDS-90 on /dev/rmt0) it takes too much times.
I think that i'll try the backup command again without the db/images and the debug logs. Hope that's right!!

jerome

P.S.- For the catalog backup, i use bpbackupdb command.

J__M__MEYER
Level 4
Trying with cpio on /usr/openv/netbackup, like:
/usr/openv/netbackup/find . -print | cpio -ovB /dev/rmt0
It has take 4 hours after what it asked me for an others tape because it wasn't ready, there're too many files.
I don't known how to backup my files without somes directories like /usr/openv/netbackup/db or /usr/openv/netbackup/logs and so on....
Has anyone an idea about to backup files (backup, cpio, tar) with excluding somes directories.

Best regards
jerome

Stumpr2
Level 6
I read on another usergroup that GNU tar allows exclusions

tar cvf tar_filename.tar --exclude '/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images' --exclude '/usr/openv/netbackup/logs' /usr/openv/netbackup