cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from nbu 5.1 to nbu 6.0 on new master server..

Hampus_Lind
Not applicable
Hi all,

I need to move my master/media installation from a hp-ux box to a linux suse box.
Can i some how do this move from nbu 5.1 to 6.0 at once, or do i need to upgrade my hp-ux box first and the migrate over to my new linux server.

Thanks and regards,
Hampus Lind
hampus.lind@rps.police.se
4 REPLIES 4

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
You may want to call and ask support if this is possible, but my guess is that it isn't. The upgrade performs several tasts that make the two versions significantly different (ex. migrating data into the EMM database). If you moved your master server, you'd probably have to install it as a 5.1 server first, then upgrade it to version 6.0.

Jeff_Redington
Level 3
Hello,

Basically you have two options, you can do the upgrade and then move it to the new server. Or you can create the new server install 5.1 and restore the data from the old master to it and then upgrade there. Unfortunately there is no way to do it all in one step.

JR

zippy
Level 6
Hampus,

This is how you do it.

First

Do you want to keep the same host name? This is preferable but not nessesary.

Install NB on the LINUX box, and copy the databases from the HPUX server to the LINUX box. Make sure the DNS works.

Copy this from the HPUX server to the LINUX Server

/usr/openv/netbackup/db
/usr/openv/volmgr/database
/usr/openv/var
/usr/openv/java/auth.conf

Turn off the HPUX Server so the IP and host name dont conflict.

Turn on the New Netbackup Proc's on the new servers

Put all Scheds on hold. or kill bprd

Configure the Hardware, hardware working now?

Then do a test of ONE server.

your done....

Say you dont want to keep the same hostname?

edit the bp.conf and the vm.conf file like the threads below.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4411415�

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4418739�

copy DB's to the LINUX server

Dont upgrade anything unitl you are happy that all works well......!

Bink your done.

Jim D

Dennis_Jones_3
Not applicable
Jim,

I'm facing a similar situation in moving my version 5 MP6 master to a new server on Solaris. Tech support didn't recommend without Veritas consulting onsite.

Do you think this is possible with Solaris? What happens to the cataloged backups? Isn't the master server name written on those tapes? Will that cause problems if the name of the master has changed?

Thanks,

Dennis