Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBSHAREDDISK with HP EVA fails to detect EVA

KeirL
Level 6
Partner
Hi
I'm trying to configure  the Netbackup Snapshot client to work with our HP EVA 5000. I have set up a test environment running 6.5.1A under eval license (so I assume I have all the licenses I need installed) in which i have a Windows 2003 master\media server, a Windows 2003 media server and a windows 2003 NBU client all of which are SAN attached. I've been following the instructions in the NBU Snapshot client admin guide and have installed the snapshot client in the NBU client, and also HP SSSU on the client. We have a dedicated HP EVA command view server and this also has SSSU installed.
I added the host name of our Command View server into the NBU credentials with the correct username and password and have tested these by running SSSU with these credentials on the Command View server - I can connect, select the storage system and run commands fine so I think the credentials are valid. However, when I run the NBSHAREDDISK LIST command from the NBU master server it doesn't return the EVA array details (I just get an empty table returned).
Can anyone suggest what I can try?
Which log file may show me what's going on in the background? I do have logging enabled but don't know where to look.
I've also tried to configure the NBU client as the Disk Array Host (as this too has SSSU installed) but that doesn't make any difference.

Many Thanks
Keir
4 REPLIES 4

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
try creating the bpdm log at verbose 5, that should help.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner
Thanks Omar
I tried that but nothing gets logged. I don't think I'm that far down the line yet.

I'm still at the stage of trying to create a policy using the HP EVA snapshot method, but when I click on the 'snapshot client options' within the attributes tab of the policy I don't see any HP EVA snapshot methods as options in the 'snapshot method' pulldown box. All I see are the default options of auto, VSP etc.

I thought the HP EVA snapshot method wasn't there because NBU doesn't see the EVA when I run the NBSHAREDDISK LIST command - perhaps that's a wrong conslusion.

So my actual problems are:
I don't see the EVA when I run the NBSHAREDDISK LIST command
I don't have any HP EVA methods available to me as a 'snapshot method' when I create a policy

I suspect these two problems are related but don't know how to go about troubleshooting it

I'm working from page 168 onwards of the Netbackup_Adminguide_SnapahotClient.pdf and all is fine until I get to the section below on page 172:

Verify NetBackup array credentials

You can verify that NetBackup has array access by entering the following.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbshareddisk list

This command lists all arrays for which NetBackup has proper login credentials. For an output example, see "Check the disk array’s host database" on page 174.

thanks
Keir

BeezSK
Level 4
I am having the same issue with an EVA 4100 (it's listed in SSSU but with the same credentials it does not come up with nbshareddisk). Did you ever find a solution?

Storage_yoda
Level 4

HI there,

With reference to this previous post did anyone get a resolution?

I am having the same issue with my new EVA.

I can access the EVA from SSSU uisng my credentials which have been added to the Master server credentials, however if we try to run NBSHAREDDISK list a blank list is returned.

The array is a 4400

CommandView/SSSU is version 8.0

Netbackup is version 6.5.3

Regards