cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.0 MP4 and Windows NT 4.0

Macon
Level 3
Is anyone running NBU v6.0 MP4 and Windows NT 4.0 clients?  What version of the NBU client are you running?  Do you have any problems with these NT 4.0 servers on version 6 that you did not have on version 5?

Thanks
Macon

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
NetBackup v6.x is not supported on Windows NT4.

The NetBackup v6.0 Operating System Compatilbity doc can be found here:

The NetBackup v5.x Operating System Compatibility doc can be found here:

I should think that a WinNT4 client running NBU v5.x client will backup and restore to NBU v6.0 servers (master and/or media).

Macon
Level 3
David,

That is the way I read it also.  I was just hoping that someone was doing this so I would know it could be done. 

Thanks for the response
Macon

Stumpr2
Level 6
Hang in there. many people in the interest of data protection will temporarily use an unsupported means of backing up data. You've come to the right place, now you just have to be patient wait. And as far as unsupported.....I have many times worked with VERITAS support in Australia who sometimes will chip in and help a mate out even though a particular setup may be unsupported. Again, I want to emphasise the word "temporarily", even though that word can mean waiting until a new fiscal year begfins which manytimes frees up some monies for tech refreshing. I wish you well.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I have previously secured Windows NT4 clients running NetBackup v5.x to NetBackup media and master servers running v6.0.  I have don erestores too, but not full system recoveries using IDR.

Also, this v6.0 Upgrade Quick Reference Guide:
...clearly shows any NetBackup v5.x client (I think minimum is actually v5.0 MP4) can be secured to a v6.0 server.  In my opinion you are good to go.  You just can't install/run a NetBackup v6.0 client on Windows NT4.