cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5 - Interesting Issue

skip77
Not applicable

Hi all, I've got a conundrum with NetBackup here:

We have a file that NetBackup picked up, and wrote to tape (a couple of times, I think)  This file is sensitive information, and we would like to remove it from our backups (it has already been removed from the source location).  The policy that backs this file up covers a lot of other data as well.  I'm wondering if there is a way to determine which individual tape the file was backed up to.  A tall order, I know.

So far, the best solution I can come up with is to produce a list of all tapes that have been written as a result of this policy and wipe them, which is unfortunately about 40 tapes.  I'm just wondering if there is an easier way.

I am running Netbackup 6.5.6 (I know, upgrading to 7 real soon!)  on RHEL 4 64-bit.  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Skip

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

What you potentially could do is, write protect the media, expire all those images. This would mean the data is recoverable, but it will require an import to be done. At least this way that special little file is not browseable via the BAR gui, and can't be restored (without import).

Its not 100% gone, but more difficult to restore. Maybe stick those media in the CEO safe in his office :p

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

for that client & select the backups for the period you're interested in.

Change the GUI to report on ALL instances of backed up files, highlight all instances in the list of the file in question and "trust" the preview media to accurately determine which media that file resides on - then decide what to do with those tapes or images!