cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 "non-optimized" backups of Win2012R2 dedup

kybeer
Level 5

Hi,

I have Netbackup 7.5 server and a Windows 2012R2 client with a deduplicated NTFS drive. Since I'm not on Netbackup 7.6 yet I cannot use "optimized method" yet:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216603

As far as I understand the way to backup the deduplicated NTFS drive in may case, is to treat it as regular directorys/files, and no backing up \System Volume Information\dedup. The directorys/files would be rehydrated during the backup process, and restore is treated as a "regular" restore process.

Is there anyone with input regarding this setup? Maybe I have misunderstood?

/johan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

You understand it correctly.  The Windows 2012R2 deduplication setup is not supported in NetBackup 7.5, this version does not know how to manage Windows' deduplication implementation.  NetBackup 7.5 will always have to rehydrate the deduplicated data to back it up.

you will have to upgrade NetBackup to 7.6.0.1 in order to take advantage of the "optimized" full backup of your deduplicated volume. This will reduce your CPU usage and backup storage (since the data doesn't have to be rehydrated) by backing up the deduplication container correctly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RonCaplinger
Level 6

You understand it correctly.  The Windows 2012R2 deduplication setup is not supported in NetBackup 7.5, this version does not know how to manage Windows' deduplication implementation.  NetBackup 7.5 will always have to rehydrate the deduplicated data to back it up.

you will have to upgrade NetBackup to 7.6.0.1 in order to take advantage of the "optimized" full backup of your deduplicated volume. This will reduce your CPU usage and backup storage (since the data doesn't have to be rehydrated) by backing up the deduplication container correctly.