cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Agent Query

canarywharf
Level 3

Hi,

We are in the procecss of moving from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 (with DAG if it's relevant). We use Netbackup 7.1 (will upgrade to 7.5 in the near future).

My question is hopefully an easy one. Do we have to purchase the Exchange Agent to enable an "online", full backup of the entire Exchange DB and flush the Transaction Logs, or can we get away with just the standard client?

Just so I am clear, I am not talking about Brick level or enabling the functionality to restore individual emails - purely I'm talking about backing up/restoring an entire databse.

Many thanks

CW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need Database and Application pack license to enable Exchange policy for online, hot backup.

Without Exchange policy, you can only backup file-level drive letters and folders, meaning you will have to shutdown Exchange for the duration of the backup.

How are you backing up Exchange 2003 right now?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

You need Database and Application pack license to enable Exchange policy for online, hot backup.

Without Exchange policy, you can only backup file-level drive letters and folders, meaning you will have to shutdown Exchange for the duration of the backup.

How are you backing up Exchange 2003 right now?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Marianne says you will need an Exchange Database License for the DAG - but bear in mind that you will also need an NetBackup Client License for each member of the DAG (mailbox and CAS Servers)

This really is the only way to go - doing anything Exchange wise without an Agent would be a nigtmare!

Hope this helps

canarywharf
Level 3

Thanks for the feedback.

In 2003 we are getting a hot backup of the store, so need the same again in 2010. I saw the Exchange Agent and wasn't sure if this was fully required, but it so then no problem.

We have spec'd Client license for all Exchange servers and Exchange license for the 4 x Mbx servers.

Marianne
Level 6

Glad we could assist.

If your question was answered, please select a post that has helped you and Mark as Solution.