cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU SLP replication to data domain

dsk1
Level 4

Hi,

We have Netbackup in both production and DR locations with its own attached data domain. Can I assign more than one media server for replication purpose?  As the actual replication happens between DD to DD, netbackup just have to initiate the replication on source end. Do I need to assign more than one media server for replication with approximately 60 TB daily backup.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Production and DR should each have own master and media servers for true DR.
You will config SLP for AIR replication.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks Marianne. Production and DR each have own master and media servers. As most of the media servers are busy performing backups, do I need to dedicate some media servers for replication purpose as performing both backup and replication might impact the peformance. Since Netbackup is just initiating the replication job and actual replication process is taken care by Data Domain, I assume one media server should do regardless of the amount of data to be replicated. Please correct me if my assumption is not right.

Thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

In theory one media server should be able to instruct the two data domain to replicate data, however each duplication do have at least one bptm and bpdbm process running on the media servers. Yes , a media server can run a lot of processes running concurrent, but can you live with not replication if the server does down ?

Be aware replication of 60TB a day on Data Domain can be a challenge unless you have a really high deduplication ration. Exchange is not a candidate due to Exchange internal optimization.

Use 50GB fragment size, Data Domain replication using larger fragment sizes has negative impact on performance.

L_BR
Level 5

Netbackup is going to use whatever Media server is registered to the DataDomain under credentials.