cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU catalog recovery ...

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Background: for years I was havign physical master/media server which was having FC based connectivity to the library and some SAN disks. Over the time I upgraded OS, NBU versions etc... Then I added to it NBU 5230 appliance to move off tape as first backup destination. Shared the tape library with the new media server. Introduced SLPs etc... Over time I stopped using this master a media server - I did reassign all media belonging to it to the NBU 5230 media server... Only hot catalog backup was written to local tape storage unit...

Recently I virtualized this windows based master server. This master has no tape storage units anylonger (as this is not supported), nor disk units - it is just pure master now. So I did reconfigure the hot catalog policy to point now to storage units which are with media server. As I am not really worried with recovery on DR site - there my master server will see tape drives so I can easly recover the catalog (yes I know we should have had the AIR in place, it is planned but $$ are the obstacle) from this tape with that catalog backup, ie https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000032075 . My question is what I will do if my master will crash on site and catalog recovery will be needed... 
So in worst case scenario I will have to install back the NBU, in the same path etc... and then what next? This master can not see the tape drive - also it is not aware of its media server (nbu 5230 appliance), right - after new installation it won't see it. So what to do next? Add this NBU 5230 media server to that master? reconfigure the STUs etc? and then proceed with bprecover -wizard? Will not the 'new' master harm my media server and its MSPD, by for instance expiring MSPD based backup images.... Has anyone been in such situation? In NBU troubleshooting guide I did not find any guidance in this regards... and testing in prod env is not so welcome...

3 REPLIES 3

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

>Add this NBU 5230 media server to that master?

yes. At this setep you might have some problems because NBU now uses certificates 

>reconfigure the STUs etc?

Configure drives, Inventory Tape Library

>and then proceed with bprecover -wizard?

Yes

>Will not the 'new' master harm my media server and its MSPD, by for instance expiring MSPD based backup images

On this step EMM is empty and has no idea about your MSDP, images and so on, so it wouldn't expire anyting 

quebek
   VIP    Certified

@Mike_Gavrilov

did you test it? or just believe it will be like that ;) ??

Mike_Gavrilov
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I've tested such confuration (with regular media-server with MSDP instedad of Appliance) when  one of our customers destoyed his master server. He had master server on VM without STUs :)