cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU encryption keys

FlyMountain
   VIP   

when i tried to create a new encryption key on NBU master (7.5.0.6), i got an error message saying "reach the encryption key maximum". this is the first time we see that. we have two encryption keys applied (encryption (legacy DES-40-bit), encryption (legace DES-56-bit)). do we have to buy more and how VERITAS count the encryption keys? we are using the encryption for all of our tape drives. usually we create a new key every new quarter, looks so far we have 7 keys created.

thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So just to confim, are you using MESO or KMS?

If KMS, what states are your other 7 keys in, (ie. active, inactive, depreciated,...)?

Netbackup has a Maximum of 20 Key Groups (ability to encrypt a total of 20 volume and/or disk pools) with 10 encryption keys per group (In NetBackup 7.6, a maximum number of 100 key groups will be supported.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So just to confim, are you using MESO or KMS?

If KMS, what states are your other 7 keys in, (ie. active, inactive, depreciated,...)?

Netbackup has a Maximum of 20 Key Groups (ability to encrypt a total of 20 volume and/or disk pools) with 10 encryption keys per group (In NetBackup 7.6, a maximum number of 100 key groups will be supported.)

FlyMountain
   VIP   

thanks for your information, Sym Terry.

Here is my detailed information and further questions.

KMS.

Two key groups, each group has one active key.

I think i may reach 10 keys on existing group. should i create a new group? will the restore still work on previous group?

thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

NBU KMS uses AES256 af default encryption schema. There is a mismatch when you state the use of  DES-40-bit or DES-56-bit.

The maximum length of a encryption keys in NBU KMS is 1024 charters. You can list the keys in a keygroup using below command:

nbkmsutil -listkeys -kgname ENCR_acme

All KMS encrypted volume pool need the ENCR_ prefix

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Regarding KMS group. A new KMS group will point to a new ENCR_ volume pool.

Please consult the Security and encryption guide:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5185