cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU for VMware with GRT Restoration Query

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

- I'm using NBU 7.0 and I've configured a VMware Policy which takes the backp of 7-8 virtual machines in one policy itself.

Queries :

1) When I configure a policy for Vmware using Flash BackUp Windows the option "Enable granular recovery" option is grayed out. So I want to know whether granular recovery is enabled in my policy.

2) When in BAR GUI, I specify the vmware machine name which is the source and also the destination for restore

a) When I select Restore from Virtual Machine Backup I get the entire .vmdk file but when I select Restore from Normal BackUp for GRT REcovery I get the following error as attached in the Snapshot

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

VMware backups dont use GRT as Exchange, SharePoint and Active Directory does. The granular functionality is provided by FlashBackup for Windows (you dont need to tick the granular recovery option)

When you want to resore files, set the restore from to "Normal Backup", when you want to restore vmdk's set it to  "Restore from Virtual Machine Backup"

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Riann,

- When I select "Restore from Normal BackUp" for GRT REcovery I get the following error as attached in the Snapshot.

- I've used the following options

Server to use for backup and restores - My NBU Master server

Source client for restores - That VMname

Destination client for restores - Same VMname

- Does the Netbackup Client Agent need to be installed on that VM for GRT Restore. 

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes, you need the client installed in the VM.

Secondly, what have you used to specify the VM in your policy, the VM Display Name, UUID, or the actual client name (hostname or fqdn). You have to specify the same name in the "source client for restores" as used in the policy.

For the "destination client for restores" you have to use the hostname/fqdn.