cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Restore screen shows no contents. Is this correct?

WITS1964
Level 3

I've just insatlled the NDMP option in to a 7.1 install on Solaris 10. I can perform a backup which shows a byte count and shows as successful. However when one looks at the restore screen it doesn't show any contents, is this correct behaviour?

It's backing up a NetApp running NDMP4.

17 REPLIES 17

MKT
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Are you browsing from policy type NDMP? 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is the browsing path set to /  - On UNIX systems is often set to /root 

WITS1964
Level 3

Yes.

WITS1964
Level 3

I must add that the admin console is on a windows 7 install. The restore pane can see the backup just doesn't show anything at the file level. I know if history isn't enabled during a backup then the progress doesn't show file count etc... I was wondering if backing up NDMP data you could only restore the whole backup and not individual items.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

- why, did you 'switch it off' in your backup selection?

If so then you will only be able to restore the whole backup.....

WITS1964
Level 3

It's not my setup, it belongs to a customer. I can only assume he did it to speed up the backup process.

I'll check with him and get back to you. I was just brought in to perform the upgrade from 6.5.4 to 7.1 and install the NDMP option.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that wasn't a "Why did you switch it off?" it was  more of a "Why? Did you switch it off?" ;)

But, yes a "SET HIST = N" in the backup selection will only allow the full volume to be restored.

WITS1964
Level 3

Can this be done from the Windows GUI/admin console? I can't seem to see it as an option.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g.

SET HIST=N
/vol/vol1
/vol/vol2

With you asking the question it seems likely that it isn't actually set & there may still be another underlying issue?

WITS1964
Level 3

Any idea what that other issue might be? I'm at a loss.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Is you admin console on the same version and patch level (such as 7.1.0.1) as the Master Server?

Also ensure you have full admin rights to your PC

Finally try the console on the Master or Media Server to see if the backups are visible from there

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

i.e. restore selection criteria (NDMP & "Select for Restore"/restore from normal backup)

plus SET HIST constraints if used.

Only other thing that springs to mind is hostname - ensure the hostname used in restore is *exactly* the same as that used in the original backup. I point this out as we had one a few months back where backups appeared to have gone missing - this was due to an old, incorrect hostname being used pulling up info that was "incorrect" for the host in question.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Another thought in addition to my last one ....

On the Master Server make sure you have the /netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions file in place to make sure that you have full access to the backups

Also make sure that the Source and Destination are the NDMP Server in your initial selections - these can be case sensitive to ensure they are exactly as the appear in the policy / job

#edit# and another thing depending on your version of Windows 7 - try "run as administrator" when opening the BAR GUI - the same can happen with DFSR backups where you cannot view all of the files

WITS1964
Level 3

Both at 7.1.

Yes to admin on PC.

Anyway to do this from a putty session? I'm 250 miles from the console.

WITS1964
Level 3

Yes to both of them. I wish I was next to it, carrying an FBH.

WITS1964
Level 3

Sorry, good idea, but still the same.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can you show us a screenshot of what you see in the BAR GUI

You could also try installing the Java GUI on your PC to see if that is any different