Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Tape drive configuration

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

Does anybody have an informative document on how to configure NDMP drives. The robot is connected to the master server(along with other tape drives) and 4 tape drives are zoned to the Netapp. (tpautoconf -probe shows 4 tape drives). The SSO section in nbu NDMP admin guide is crude and does not explain properly.

Specifically I am looking for:-

1) In the guide(page 76 for 7.5 version) they show media server "ice" and "sky". Is one of them a Master server and other a media server ?

- Which one to choose and why? do I choose master server(e.g- ice) assuming that it has the robot zoned to it or "sky"?(I have 10's of media servers in the environment and I doubt i need to select all)

- e.g, In the diagram why has "sky" also been checked if that has nothing to do with NDMP drives?

2) Next I check NDMP option as "optional devices to be scanned". (understood)

3) Next screen shows NDMP server.

- If i go through the wizard, will this also reconfigure my other devices too on the master server(ice) as it has been selected? 

I dont want to reconfigure all of my master server devices, I only need to add the additional NDMP drives.

Any proper document for this process would be very helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You still need to choose one media server (or the master) to be the NetBackup for NDMP server

As per the manual, this is 'a NetBackup master or media server where NetBackup for NDMP is installed'.

The manual tells you to only choose this media server in the Device Config Wizard when you want to config NDMP drives.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends how you wana use the drives, if you want your master server work then only share the drives with your master server. In the example Sky and ice both could be media server as we don't prefer Master doing all the extra work but definately if you want you can make the master work as well.

3) Next screen shows NDMP server.

- If i go through the wizard, will this also reconfigure my other devices too on the master server(ice) as it has been selected?

Yes please select all components while doing the device configuration as it would be better otherwise it might mess up things. Also in your environment master server sees robot and drives but filer sees drives only and not the robot so you better select master server while doing device configuration.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply sazz.

The actual environment has got 2 physical tape libraries and 2 VTL's. All 4 robots are all controlled by the Master server and the drives are assigned to around 20 media servers. 4 drives out of one of the physical tape library is zoned to the Netapp. 

Because of so many devices configured on the Master server wanted to avoid doing a reconfig of the master server devices just for adding 4 drives on a NDMP box.

To add the NDMP tape drive to the Netbackup config directly without using the wizard I think tpconfig can be used but am not sure from where to get the drive index value.(maybe library GUI?)

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

tpconfig -d will give you the drive index but that will only happen once the drives are configured in NBU.I do understand your concern but the robot is connected to the Master Server, I still feel that you should select all select all components while doing the device configuration. If you are concerned get a window when none of the job running on the servers.

Edit*: Or may be just wait for Marianne or Martin, they are very good in all this.

Marianne
Level 6

You still need to choose one media server (or the master) to be the NetBackup for NDMP server

As per the manual, this is 'a NetBackup master or media server where NetBackup for NDMP is installed'.

The manual tells you to only choose this media server in the Device Config Wizard when you want to config NDMP drives.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne,

Is there a way I could prevent performing a reconfiguration of all the devices already configured on this media/master server and just add the NDMP drives to the configuration?

Marianne
Level 6

Remember that the NDMP devices are added to Media Server config, so, existing devices will remain unchanged but Media server daemons/services need to be restarted in order to update config.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the help Marianne,Saaz.