cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM 6.0.5 Reports Running but Not Found After Upgrade to NOM 6.5.3

Saluki_Fan
Level 3
NOM 6.0.5 was upgraded this week to NOM 6.5.3 on a NetBackup 6.5.3 client with Solaris 10 on a Sun SPARC server. When I logon to NOM via the web interface, I cannot find the old reports I created before the upgrade yet they were scheduled and still run! Also, I've gotten an alert message emailed to me from NOM yet I can't find the alerts I previously created either. When I get into alerts tab on NOM, it looks like there are none defined in NOM 6.5.3. I can tell it's the old one because the old emails come from VERITAS.NOM and the new emails come from SYMANTEC.COM.

When looking at the standard reports, I could select 6.0 standard reports but the ones I created aren't listed there and no Private or Public reports showed up until I recreated 3 of the reports and scheduled them.

The only solution I can think of is to completely uninstall NOM 6.5.3, deleting the database and reinstall NOM 6.5.3 from scratch, manually adding back the reports and alerts. But is there a way to access the old reports or alerts to edit or delete? Any suggestions? I do not like these things running when I can't get to them to print, email, edit or delete them or even see that they're there. Argh!
4 REPLIES 4

Rick_Brown
Level 4
Hello,
When I upgraded out NOM (running on a windows server, I upgraded to a Solaris server & had to recreate all the reports.
I realize this doesn't help you with your issue. I'm responding to this post because we use VBR (Veritas Backup Reporter) & I can honestly tell you that VBR 6.6 (with 1 EEB added) it's by far the better way to get your reporting done in a reliable way.
Very powerful & detailed.  VBR holds about 1 years worth of detailed backup reporting by default.

I still use NOM 6.5.3, but only yo let me knnow when someone is trying to do a restore & the required media is not in the tape library - the alrets work great for this. VBR does not do this type of alerting becasue it can only report on what has happened, not what is happening. (VBR can do some predictive forcasting of backups to be run if Netbackup is running the schedules).
I also use NOM to send alerts if a catalog backup has not occured in the last 13 hours - we run 5 full catalog backups per day.

We have several a few methods of tracking the NBU success/failures, but VBR is proving to be a value added application making NOM look like a wanna-be, except for the 2 alerts I mentioned already. VBR is worth the time to set up & use.
We have 7 NBU master in 2 data centers running over 5,000 backups per day at about a 99.5% - 99.8% combined daily success rates for all 7. VBR makes managing these system a lot easier.

Cheers,
Rick

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293236.htm

Overview: Alert messages that showed up in the NOM user interface (UI) prior to applying the NOM 6.0 MP5 maintenance pack are no longer viewable.

Troubleshooting: This issue has only been observed with Solaris NOM servers.

Resolution:
Issue the following command:

/opt/VRTSnom/bin/NOMAdmin -migrateAlerts

This will migrate alert messages from before the upgrade so they will display in the UI.

Saluki_Fan
Level 3
Thanks for both your replies. I appreciate the info even though it didn't help me with this particular problem. I tried updating NOM from 6.5.3 to 6.5.4 but couldn't sign in which turned out to be a VxAT configuration problem on the NOM side, but I ended up uninstalling NOM and reinstalling NOM without the old database then applied the 6.5.4 update. Now I'm in the process of checking/changing the settings and adding back reports and alerts manually. So, I don't know if NOM 6.5.4 would have solved the problem of not being able to access the old 6.0.5 reports in NOM 6.5.3.

BTW, I applied a 6.5.4 update to VxAT that I found at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326440.htm and I had not known that there were any updates to VxAT to be found until now.

Also, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321327.htm indicated that some of my old report access problems might be fixed with 6.5.4. Unfortunately, I couldn't login to NOM 6.5.4 to prove or disprove it.

Backup_Guy1
Level 3
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a way to generate a weekly report from Netbackup 6.5 master server backup jobs. The information I really need is what is on policy selection list page. I've tried NOM job exit status report when the job's completed but the options are summarised (which has no useful info) or detailed which contains too much info and does not support BEX. All I really want to find out is which volume, folders each job is backing up on weekly report. Is it possible to export such a list using nom or vbr ?

I have downloaded VBR where can I get evaluation key?

Can I install VBR and NOM in same server?

Can I upgrade NOM to 6.4 with out losing my current report setting?